DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing the Hallman Boost Controller on my 2g gs-t. I noticed on my Autometer boost gauge that I was hitting 15psi in 5th gear accelerations, but only 12psi on hard 1st and 2nd gear accelerations without the unit installed. Can I go up on the boost without problems? I understand that 15psi is all the stock turbo can do, and I don't want to blow up my motor before I put a 16g (or 20g, haven't decided yet) turbo in. Anyone with experience in this matter, please advise.
Also, is a 20g any good for the every day driver???

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I just returned from my test drive. I can't get any more than 14psi even with the adjustment screw turned all the way in. I only get 13psi when I hit higher rpm's, too. HELP!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
check for leaks.
From what I gather, on the stock bottom end/internals you shouldn't push more than 15 PSI.
a 20G is a pretty big turbo, it would depend on what supporting mods you have.
I think most people upgrade to a 16G turbo. It's plenty big for an Inline-4 2.0L engine, and doesn't really have much lag if tuned properly. Plus it's good as a daily driver.
Once you hit a 20G turbo, you better have good supporting mods.

·
Registered
182 Posts
A 20G is not nearly as bad for daily driving as a lot of people think, as long as you have supporting mods. I've been in quite a few 20G cars, and as long as you have a decent setup, the 20G is perfectly streetable. I know a guy with a 20G on a stock 2G bottom end running it to 8,000 rpm with a dsmlink. Before that he had a PMS and was using the stock rev limiter. He's been running 20psi from it for some time now with no problems. Probably a year and a half of driving.

As for your T25, you probably have a leak somewhere, that's why you're not getting as much boost as you could.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked and re-checked for leaks visually, and cannot find any. It was a sweet install that went very well, and I just can't believe that any of my fittings could be leaking. Is there any other way to check????
As for supporting mods, I have: Autometer boost/vacuum gauge, Autometer air/fuel gauge, 2.5 downpipe, high flow cat, 2.5 exhaust pipe straight back to a high flow Boomz muffler, k/n style intake, and a cold air intake box. (and the Hallman Boost Controller). I puchased an HKS SSQ BOV that is not installed yet(Buscur Racing sent the wrong one), and a high flow in tank fuel pump; also not installed yet. What's next?????????????

·
Registered
182 Posts
You'll probably want a front mount innercooler and piping. You'll also need new injectors and some kind of fuel control.

The best way to check for a leak is to connect a pressure tester to the inake on your turbo and listen for leaks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
stock BOV?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An e-mail to Hallman yielded this reply:

You will need to replace the stock BOV with an aftermarket BOV to be able to increase boost on a second gen DSM. The stock unit leaks and will not allow more than 14 PSI. Your boost will go lower in the higher RPM’s because the small stock turbo cannot flow enough air at the higher RPM’s to support higher than stock boost.

Marc Hallman

Sooooooooooooo- you very wise dsm' ers were correct, and I thank you whole-heartedly! I will have to install my HKS SSQ BOV when Bushcur finally sends me the right one!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I found my boost leak by....

turn the car on

listen for air leaking out

ssssssssssssssssssssssssss

then you can pull the offending hose off, and check it for leaks

a lot of times it's just a small hole at the end of the hose

just buy a ton of hose at autozone, it's like 40 cents a foot, and replace them ALL.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess you didn't read my post. There is no sssssssssss, and it is a brand new Hallman kit with new hoses. It's my stock BOV. It is only good to 14psi. I just talked to Tim from Buschur, and he is sending me a stock 1g BOV with a 1g UIC. Full credit for the HKS SSQ BOV that will not really work properly for my car because it vents to the atmosphere (bad for idle!). I also bought a "big" 16g turbo, injectors, fuel management components, ACT2600, and other goodies recommended by him. These guys are the real pro's, and I cannot wait to go FAST! Suspention mods, and slicks are next. Oh yeah, Thanks to you guys again, I love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts