DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've bought this clutch thinking it's supposed to be very good, 600WHP proven, blabla. The way they talk, you can think it's good as a Tilton carbon/carbon clutch. I made a nice breaking, drove it daily driven, did very few launch, and this weekend I did one launch and this wonderfull clutch welded on my ACT Flywheel, and destroyed their nice pressure plate. 500$ for this clutch/PP. Ooooh I'm so Happy! Thank's SBR, should rename this to BSR!

I ordered a 2600 PP and a stock 2G disk.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap lesson learned : let others do the test!

I'm so happy last year I was interested in their cast manifold, and a local friend just told me his manifold cracked after 1800miles, I love my E3 ported so much now!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
so far i've had good results with my ACT 2600 so im sticking with it when i get a new clutch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally whent the ACT disk. Most of the local here run 2G disk, but Shep told me it's better to go with the ACT disk, so I've listened to the pro.

·
Registered
507 Posts
yikes.. thanks for the review.. its always a risk to be one of the first to try out a product that hasn't been proven compared to the tried and true act combo..

i run act2600 w/street disc myself.. my second one.. first one had tons of hard launches..

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hmm this is interesting review.I have talked to several guys running the hd 4000 with no problems at all that seem to really like it. I have read one or two posts about springs failing but then act had that problem a lot which is one reason went to hd4000.
The fact it died so quick says something had to be wrong there.I was very anal when just did my clutch install..I noticed first that my new act flywheel had oil on it for protection.You have to take off that oil!! I used brake cleaner.Also used brake cleaner on the pressure plate surface. Also torque specs are very important. I made sure flywheel bolts were torqued to spec 100ft on flywheel and 15 on pressure plate.I used red loctite on pressure plate and flywheel bolts might have to cut them off but dont' want things backing out.I am using new slave as well. Bad hydraulics not realeasing or whatever could take out a clutch and clutch would slip with oil on the flywheel for sure if guy didn't take that act oil off the flywheel.
So guess see how this clutch does for me but like said have talked to several guys running it no problem.If it dont' work for me than likley try 2900 /street disc act combo.

·
Banned
569 Posts
Did you install it yourself?

I run their 3500 clutch kit and love it.

No problems....knock on wood.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes I have the engine out for a 2.4 build in my sig so it was easy to do the clutch.Like I said the act flywheel was covered in oil..to prevent rusting I assume but you cant leave that oil on the flywheel!!!
And like I said you have to torque the flywheel and pressure plate bolts ,use the alignment tool.You need to have a working slave and master and have the pedal adjusted right. And the dowels can get lost on the trans and that also can cause clutch failure but most are likely due to pressure plate or flywheel bolts backing out from not being torqued right or vibration.I used red loctite on my flywheel and pressure plate.Might have to cut the bolts off but such is life.

So see how the hd4000 works for me. If not then like I said go with 2900 or 3200 act with likley street disc.Car is street car and needs to be streetable.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ohhh shit....i also bought the sbr 4000. I havn't installed it yet though. I'm also gonna do a fidanza flywheel with it as well. I'll post back if it fails

·
Registered
493 Posts
Some guy on canada board had his die at 1000km..sbr 3500 but its same pressure plate.He also said he talked to guy at competition who said something about defective pressure plates and something about shaving the pivot ball 45 thousands or some crap. I assume you have to remove tranny to get the pivot ball out .Or can you go thru the fork boot..doubt it but never really paid that much attention when installed my stuff.
I got my 4000 pressure plate over a year ago so hoping if some are defective its newest ones.I know a few guys that have run them for thousands of miles with no problem so crossing my fingers.

I also noticed my clutch pedal is very light and pretty sure bled the system properly.Haven't started car yet still waiting to finish up my 2.4 and modfest.
I was suprised how light the pedal is..wonder how it will change after driving it a bit.

I would like to hear from more guys running the 3500 or 4000 with no problems.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well a bit more detail..the shaving pivot ball was mistake..they were talking the usual shimming pivot ball thing. Supposedly just a few problems in some recent clutches and they are not sure but think that like act installs sometimes its the pivot ball being worn,fork worn ,clutch pedal linkage worn.etc..
So I was getting overly paranoid. I have again talked to guys running the hd4000 for many miles with zero problems. So feeling a bit better about that.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've been running a new 3500 and Fidanza flywheel for about 3000 miles... I barely launched it, I think only 6 times total, 4 being all the same day at the track. Mind you I got horrible 60 footers, seems like a good clutch. Never slipped yet, I'll update if anything bad happens.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm extremely happy with my 2900/4000 combo. The pedal pressure is less than that of the 2600, no chatter and its very streetable. It also holds a lot of power since I'm now flowing in the low to mid 50 lbs of air.

·
Registered
634 Posts
DSM Perform. II said:
Yeap lesson learned : let others do the test!

I'm so happy last year I was interested in their cast manifold, and a local friend just told me his manifold cracked after 1800miles, I love my E3 ported so much now!

:eek: :eek: :eek: Which one... the first model they cast or the "improved" second model (with waste gate/egt tap)? How bad was the crack in the manifold, is exhaust escaping from it, etc?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I got my car running with the 4000 clutch.I don't have 500 miles on it yet may be a few weeks but so far first impressions.Car drives fantastic right now .Pedal pressure if very very reasonable and have no chatter at all even with clutch brand new.It seems to be able to grab if it needs to .

I did a lot of things when installed mine that many people may not do or get sloppy about.I had to wipe off oil off my new act flywheel.I used red loctite on pressure plate and flywheel.Made sure my tranny dowels were in there.

I used new throw out a mits one and new fork and new pivot ball.No shimming.Stainless clutch line and brake type speed bleeder.

My clutch is a dream clutch right now. I will not be doing any heavy racing so pretty sure it should last me a long long time.

I can give some extended reports after break in.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I also used a torque wrench.. a lot of people just sort of wing it and not using a torque wrench or loctite is just asking for things to not work.A new fork and pivot is also good idea.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
AL92 said:
I also used a torque wrench.. a lot of people just sort of wing it and not using a torque wrench or loctite is just asking for things to not work.A new fork and pivot is also good idea.
Anyone that "wing's" torque specs on something spinning 1000-10,000 rpm
Deserves a failure.
:cool:

As a matter of fact, I would go as far to say don't mod or work on cars either... if that's in your mentality.

I've witnessed how poor the 3500 was. Especially the pressure plate.
The disk was ok. The plate was terrible.
Specs/procedures were obviously observed.
I just assumed it carried over to the rest of the line.

I was impressed. :rolleyes:
ACT all the way.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts