DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was driving my normal asshole ways i had to come to a hard stop. As i got on the brakes hard and tried to stop the revs went way up and the car would not stop, i dunno wtf happened but i bout slammed the car in front of me cause the tranny just like stayed in high revs. And it wasnt a throttle problem.

·
Registered
668 Posts
sure you didnt confuse the gas for the brake? :dunno:

j/k man... sounds like a strange problem

·
Registered
143 Posts
That problem is really unexplainable. That never happened with my DSM, but when I was 16 my first car was a 94 Dodge Shadow and it did the same thing. It happened to me twice. Kind of a freak thing, but was never reoccuring. All of a sudden I would be driving like 25 miles an hour down residential and all of a sudden the car went in full blast speed, I had to slam hard as hell on the brakes and throw my car in park and shut it off. And it did not seem very healthy for the tranny or the engine because it made a big slam. I was really worried about turning it back on, but I turned it back on and it ran normal. No idea what happened and everyone that I told thought I was drunk or something.

·
Registered
245 Posts
RPM's went up and the car starting going faster or just rpms went up ? Because, how would the car go faster if you dont apply any gas to it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no the car didnt go faster it just wouldnt stop when the rpm's went up. I was like drifting into the back of this car and panicing cause i couldnt stop. fuckin autos anyway, i cant wait to get rid of my car, but for now it gets me back and forth to work and college.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Explain clearly.

Engine rpm goes up?

Do you mean the engine was reving, or were the rpm's going up like a downshift.

Were you one the brake while the engine was reving, if this was the problem it was a stuck throttle cable.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
yes when i started to apply the brakes, the engine revved. No it was not downshifting, and the harder i applied the brake, the higher it would rev.
Do you have pedal covers??

When I installed some(just because the rubber worn through, not for looks) several years ago I had the same problem.

The gas and the brake were too close together so it revved when I slowed down, the clutch was in so it didn't reallt matter. I flipped the gas pedal cover 180 degrees and fixed it.

Do you drive with combat boots?
:D

·
Registered
152 Posts
i was going to say the same thing, i bet you hit the gas with the side of your foot and didnt realize it, the engine cant exactly open the throttle plate by it self. why not just pop it into neutral instead of putting it in park and breaking the parking lock pinion??

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well first off no i dont have pedal covers, no i didnt hit the gas pedal too, and no i didnt throw it into park. i put it in neutral and it revved for a bit and then let off, i was able to drive right away from it. i dont know what it could have been, stuck throttle i guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts