DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I just found this car at a local mechanics place of business. It has a brand new head and some other parts on it.

Wants to get rid of it. Owner could not pay for the bill so I can possibley get it cheap. So here is the questions!
91 Eagle Talon
Automatic
118,xxx miles
Burgandy
Fresh top end on the motor
Decent body
16 inch wheels dual tipped exhaust
4G63 Motor
0-60 times?
1/4 times?
Hp?
Problems?
How much can that auto tranny handle?
Venom Intake worth it?
HKS hyper exhaust? opinions?
Can the tranny handle a venom n2o kit?
Can these cars in this setup at least keep up with neons?
How well do the turbo crower cams perform in a non turbo 4G63 motor?
Will the bbk throttle bodies for the turbo version work on this motor?
Things I should keep my eyes open for??

This would mainly be my daily driver as I have a lesser known Mitsubishi that will be recieving a 4G63 in the future.... but I still would want to do some stuff to it.
Let me know guys!
And I asked in another thread but who should I talk to for a name change?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Assuming its a non turbo:

HP about 120-130
1/4 Mile: High 16's possibly
Problems: Change timing belt
Autos can handle alot especially with upgrades.
For intake, do a search
Turbo cams work just a little better than the NT cam, intake only, little performance gain.
I'd say a Talon could keep up fairly well with a neon. The neon may be a little quicker though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it is a non turbo 2.0 4g63 auto fwd talon

If I bought it I would mod it before actually ever driving it.....

It still needs some parts... looks decent could use a cleaning they wont even give me a price on it... but I am only gonna offer 300-700 for the car since it is in non running condition.

But I wanted to have a set of Crower cams installed in it. They are a slightly higher end Turbo cam.

So the trannies can handle the power?

Ok here is what I want to do... and will do as I get the money...

Feel free to offer any opinion on these mods... if you think one would be better recommend it!

Crower cams (414 grind)
Venom intake manifold
Some brand Cold air intake
HKS hyper exhaust (for the turbo model)
Adjustable cam gears
Would like a small shot of n2o like 50-75hp shot....
Pacesetter header (or better one if found)
My goal??
Well here is what I am kind of competing against....

99 Civic SI
Skunk 2 cams
DC header
Apexi exhaust
Adjustable cam gears
Cold air intake

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here is my opinion on a good street setup in a non-turbo, and in fact the setup I'm working towards.

*Pacesetter header.
*K&N Filter with all the free aircan/silencer mods.
CATCO high flow cat.
2.25in mandrel bent custom catback.
*91+ 5 speed turbo cams or 264/272 combo HKS cams.
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.
Ported intake manifold.
Phenolic Spacer
Ported intake/exhaust ports + 3 angle valve job.
Any brand Adjustable cam gears.
Hours of Dyno Tuning. ;)
ACT street/strip clutch/pressure plate.
Eibach pro kit springs.
*RActive front strut tower bar.
Buschur Racing rear strut tower bar.
*Lighter than stock wheels.

The items with a * are the items I have already obtained. As far as cams, I have the turbo cams aready installed but am saving for the HKS cams.

Anywho, that's my wishlist. When its all said and done I'd like around 180hp to the wheels in a nice looking car that corners fairly well. Thats my goal and I feel it's pretty realistic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
aright dude, i had a 1990 Eclipse GS 16V Dohc with the 4g63t motor, it was an auto, and it too had 118,000 miles when i bought it, all i gotta say is it is dog slow, 1/4 mile times aint no high 16's, i once took off from 0-60 and ithink i counted like 14 seconds, they are piss slow man, and dont think that my motor was bad, b/c i had it all pretty much redone at like 126,000 miles, i seen that those 1 gens, after 120,000 miles, problems start coming, i sold it to one of my co worker, and shes been putting money in it alot, and trust me i took care of that car, and my bro did too when he had it before me, i gurantee it was one of the cleanest 90's aroiund......jut some advice for ya

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you like the pacesetter header?

Also the crower 414 grind is suppose to be turbo cam... also they said it helped make power upto like 7500rpms....

I know these cars arent fast... but as long as it can outrun my 2.3 mustang LX auto and keep up with neons its cool. I know the 5 spds are a lot faster as this is an auto I am looking at.... though I would like to do a 5 spd conversion in the future.

But for now....

what kind of hp can I expect with just these?
Crower 414 grind cam
adjustable cam gears
cold air intake
HKS hyper exhaust
Venom computer module
Pacesetter header
high flow cat

Right now as the car sits it is uncomplete...
So I figure I may be able to get it cheap. But I would like to know that I can hit around 160hp or at least think of challenging my buddies SI civic..... which unfortantely started with 160hp....

·
Registered
577 Posts
the pacesetter was a good buy. Only $150. It DID need to be modified some in order to fit. Just neeed to enlarge some mounting holes. The welds on the inside of the runners were also sloppy and needed to be cleaned up. However after I modified it, the power gain was very noticeable over 4000rpm. Under 4000rpm, I couldn't really tell a difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did it change the way the car sounded at all?
was kind of hoping for a bit more low end pickup than that... but hey maybe the other mods will add to that....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok quick added on question here....

which exhaust???

HKS hyper for the turbo model
Thermal research exhaust
Apex'i N1

which one?

am leaning mostly to the HKS but the Thermal research is tempting... anyone have any experiance with any of these???

·
Registered
577 Posts
REGISTERMEDAMIT said:
Did it change the way the car sounded at all?
was kind of hoping for a bit more low end pickup than that... but hey maybe the other mods will add to that....
You actually lose some low end with a header. I think the car sounds the same, MAYBE a bit deeper. But the rest of my exhaust is stock.

Low end torque can be made up with cams. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking for a deeper tone I dont want one of these high pitched fart sounding honda's....

Thats why I was looking at the crower cams pacesetter header (only one I found) and the HKS or Thermal research exhaust...

As long as this car can run better than 18.2 I will be happy with it. I am waiting on some mustang parts to sell so I can swing by and pick up this car. It looks decent... dont know what would be a good price on it though...

any idea's??

Bone stock 91 Eagle Talon auto with 118,xxx miles non running with a new head and some other parts. But still needs spark plug wires spark plugs and am not really sure what else. Looks pretty complete. It does have a tear in the very front of the front bumper and the right corner light is flat out missing. So how much is this worth? Is my original offer around the right price or is it worth more or less?
I know of a Running 92 Talon with the 4G63 motor with a 5spd in the area for 1200 obo but I really dont want that one... It has been dogged a lot.. (kid doesnt know that I know that)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts