DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy is selling his black Eclipse:

Yah it's for sell. It has about 76,500 miles right now. It has a "salvage" title though. I bought it with the salvage title because it was a great deal. I researched through carfax and actually spoke on the phone with the guy that bought it brand new off the lot before I purchased the car. From the research and talking with him, I discoverd the car was stolen, taken to Mexico, and stripped, but not wrecked. The cost of replacing all the parts was so expensive that the insurance company turned into a salvage title. A salvage title is about 20-50% off of the fair market price. I checked on Kelley Blue Book and the private party value in "good" condition is about $7500. I would like to get $4500 - $5000 for the car. It currently needs a tuneup which I plan to do in a couple of weeks and the paint needs to be touched up in a couple of areas but other than it it's in pretty good shape for a 6 year old car. You can call me if you're seriously interested. XXX-XXX-XXXX.

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
VIN#4AXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I'm worried about the salvage title.

Also, how much does it cost to change the rear lights back to the original stock lights? I found something on AutoTrader but the lights were changed/modified. I like the original look better. Also, how much does it cost to change the RS/GS spoiler to a GS-T/GSX spoiler?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Give it a good looking over before you buy it, for all you know he's lying.

As for the one with the aftermarket tails...I'm going to say no. If you're going to be buying a DSM, buy one that's unmolested. Chances are he's driven the shit out of it if it has aftermarket tails and is probably having a lot of problems out of the engine, hence the reason for selling it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

Back to the tail - actually, I was planning on picking up a GS (I'm concerned about crankshaft walking so no turbo for me), and then I was gonna upgrade the spoiler to a GS-T one cuz I think it looks better.

Another question: What exactly are the differences between the RS and the GS. I know the GS is supposed to be more luxurious, but the specifics I really don't know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
AFK said:
Thanks for the advice.

Back to the tail - actually, I was planning on picking up a GS (I'm concerned about crankshaft walking so no turbo for me), and then I was gonna upgrade the spoiler to a GS-T one cuz I think it looks better.

Another question: What exactly are the differences between the RS and the GS. I know the GS is supposed to be more luxurious, but the specifics I really don't know.
I wouldnt say "luxurious". By no means is any dsm "luxurious".

The GS differeniates from the RS by means of power options, moonroof, alloy rims, things of that nature. The engine, suspension, drivetrain, etc. are identical.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alloy rims? I take it that alloy rims look better or just stronger? Also, so the RS has no moonroof then?

·
Registered
767 Posts
You really don't want to go with a RS or GS. Everyone talks about crankwalk with 2g DSMs because it is possible to happen, but how many people do you honestly see get crankwalk? It's not anything to really be worried about, and if you are just drop in a 1g 6-bolt.

Trust me on this, I got an ESi instead of TSi/GST/GSX and it's the biggest mistake I've ever made. I've put a good deal of money into my engine and it has given shit back to me. The only thing the RS/GS/ESi models are good for is looking good, even with a turbo they'll never have the raw potential a turbo DSM will.

Hope this helps,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts