DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, when I was under my car looking for where to bleed the clutch (still havent found) I had my scissor jack lifting it up SOME.. not too far not to where the tires leave the ground or anything and I noticed these 2 bolts:

see the obvious gap? but get this when I LOWER the car back down.. the gap goes away.. it doesent to super snug or anything but it gets smaller..

so should I tighten these bolts up tighter?

On an earlier post I said my car feels like there is a jokting slack when shifting or getting off the gas.. I think maby these bolts not being tight is causing the slack and thus the jolt. because that beam is what the engine and tranny sit on (I think) so if that can move.. they can move and thus there would be slack yes?. thoughts?

·
Registered
906 Posts
And stop crawling under your car with the OEM jack.

·
Registered
130 Posts
you likely wont be able to tighten them any more... There is a rubber boot on the top side that you cant see that gets compressed when you jack the car up.... You can tighten them to 200lb/ft and they'll still compress just the same.

leave'em alone (or, if you dont believe me, go ahead and try).

AND STOP CRAWLING UNDER THE CAR WITH THE STOCK JACK!!!:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it just wierds me out seeing that HUGE gap, I know when I accelerate hard that gap opens up aswell.. it just seems odd..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, if these bolts are not the cause of the slack and jarring when I shift or let off the gas.. then WHAT IS? its driving me nutts.. the car jolts back and fort whenever i let off the gas.. smooth acceleration is a past dream, no matter what I cannot drive without a rocking jarring sensation..

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Maybe motor mounts. As for the parts in your picture, if anything is wrong it would have to be the rubber wearing out not the metal parts.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well one of my mounts IS cracked.. I guess thats it huh? it doesent look bad but its cracked all the way through soo..

·
Registered
250 Posts
your mounts could be the prob, my car used to do the same thing, and maybe if you shift at high RPMS from 1st to 2nd and the car makes a bad noise or sound, the the mounts are bad, if you get the prothane mounts it would go away and the shifting would be much smoother, but only that the idle will suffer a bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts