DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the 2gs have smaller turbos, but they also have high compression ratio.... Slap a t28 on a 1g and 2g and the 2g will be faster right?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Take 1 1991 Eclipse GSX. 2500 dollars.

Add boost controller. (70 bucks with el cheapo Boost gauge)

Take out weight.

Take off exhaust.

Add race gas (20 bucks)

Launch really, really well.

Run 12's.

That's 2590 dollars. I don't know too many 2G's that you can even get for 2590.

The end.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
Your forgetting the 1g's have stronger rods, better flowing heads and intake mani's, as well as better bov's. The higher compression will help the turbo spool a little quicker, but the 1g will still win.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
OBDII doesn't handle mods like OBD1 does either. Plus when logging OBDII only can sample up to 20per second while OBD1 does over 50 samples per sec.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Boost controller, race gas, and no exhaust run 12s? Yeah if you are a professional driver. Still would be a little rough to do.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if you take 2 stock dsms one 1G gst and a 2G gst throw a intake, t28, rewire the pump, MBC, full 3" exhaust system, then boost it to 16 psi, the 1g will be faster? If so by how much?

How much does compression ratio affect the power of the two different G's given the same amount of boost? Would it only be a a few ponies or more?

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
liljdove said:
Boost controller, race gas, and no exhaust run 12s? Yeah if you are a professional driver. Still would be a little rough to do.
Look up Jay Haas's sig. I've done 13.55 with ebc, 94 pump, k&n, some free mods, full stock exhaust, but I already had a 2600 in by then. First time at the track a guy ran a 1g with just mbc, upper ic pipe and 2g mani (rest all stock exhaust), and did 13 flat. It is possible. I don't think you even need race gas, but is good insurance.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I never said it was impossible, just hard to do. I know a guy, fathouse, who ran like 12.6? with just race gas, no exhaust, and mbc. I just dont think that any joe off the street could run 12s with that simple setup.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Even though 1Gs look lighter, they are not. I don't know where the 1Gs are holding all that weight. The 2Gs look like they have more pork on them with that fat ass, but it's all air. It's like chicks, depends on how they carry there weight I guess:rolleyes:

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
2g awd's weigh 3200lbs dry....1g's HAVE to be lighter than that

·
Registered
122 Posts
1gs weigh less, have better flowing heads, intake manifolds. Its obvious that a 1g with the same mods will be faster. The compression ratio does little in overall power.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
liljdove said:
I never said it was impossible, just hard to do. I know a guy, fathouse, who ran like 12.6? with just race gas, no exhaust, and mbc. I just dont think that any joe off the street could run 12s with that simple setup.
fathouse had an ACT2600, 255 walbro, +22psi, vp116 i believe or some other race gas, and turboback (+mad driving skills)

a brutal clutch like the 2600# is really the key to good e.t.'s

1g's ARE lighter than 2g's...

you can say T28 upgrade for 2g's, i say same thing as 16g for 1g, actually cheaper (just get 16g CHRA and use td05)

a 2g SMIC core is a piece of poo too - seriously it's about ~2" thick

fact of the matter is, a 1g stock turbo can be taken to 12's on race gas for $1k-2k depending on where you get parts (new vs. used, muffler shop exh vs. extreme SS [it's just pipes people :p]) and STOCK fuel control/injectors, stock smic (even piping)

i'd just want a 2g for dsmlink, but even then, an s-afc, or s-afc/vpc has taken 1g's to 10's

-aaron

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
1g's ARE lighter than 2g's...
Not by much, although even if the 1G is 100lbs lighter I suppose it will make a diff.
i'd just want a 2g for dsmlink, but even then, an s-afc, or s-afc/vpc has taken 1g's to 10's
Hang in there, I emailed them about a 1G version, they are considering it:D

·
Registered
325 Posts
91eclipsegsx16boy, he didnt have a fuel pump or clutch when he ran that time. He just upped the boost like a motha. By the way, I havent seen him on the street for a long time, besides on a trailer. Wonder what hes runnin now? hmmm

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
liljdove said:
91eclipsegsx16boy, he didnt have a fuel pump or clutch when he ran that time. He just upped the boost like a motha. By the way, I havent seen him on the street for a long time, besides on a trailer. Wonder what hes runnin now? hmmm
i'm 100% positive he had act2600, and pretty damn sure about the walbro too...

no way in hell a stock clutch is going to take a 400lb man with no weight removal (didn't Jay Haas run 12's on stock clutch? but with a race weight of 2700#'s or so?) to 12's...

he ran a 11.6 (If memory serves me right) at the '02 SO with 20g

-aaron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts