DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on replacing mine soon. Autozone claims to have it for $11.99. (Advance Auto wanted $63.99)

Anyway I haven't done too much work on my car (replaced radiator, other small hoses and stuff, oil changes, that's about it) and I was wondering if anybody had any tips for me before I got to work on it. It's a 90 Tsi AWD.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
619 Posts
On a 2G, it's 3 bolts (Two long ones that hold the slave to the tranny, one for the clutch line) and bleed the clutch. Nothing terribly difficult.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
The 2g one is nicer in that it has the bleeder screw in a easier to access location. But you can toss the reservoir that comes with it. Make sure the $11 special isn't a remanned. Its pretty simple.

2 12mm bolts hold it on the tranny. I think its a 12mm flare nut too (not certain, its been a while), for that you want a flare wrench though. The bleeder is a 10mm. Just drain the old one, toss the new one on and bleed just like brakes. You need to use dot 3 brake fluid too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A 1G has three bolts also. I think they're 10mm or 12mm. Two bolts hold the slave sylinder to the tranny and one holds the clutch line. The bleeder is 10mm also. It's diffcult to reinstall one of the bolts that holds on the slave cyl, because it's hard to see if you have the bolt lined up correctly, but after a few trys you should be able to get it. When bleeding you'll need somebody to pump the pedal for you and make sure that you never let the resevoir run dry, you don't want excess air to get into the lines.

-Joe

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,281 Posts
Just make sure you bleed and bleed and bleed the lines again.....that was my problem when I did mine in my old 1G - I thought I had bled it enough but apparently there was still some air in the lines :confused: Anyway, it's not too tough. Mine took about a half hour or so, and I was very inexperienced with DSM's at that time. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everybody :D

doesn't sound too bad

just installed the K&N tonite, along with hacking the air can, and removing the silencer and lower honey comb.

all is good in DSMland :D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I don't know about 1gs but on a 2g you need a 3/8 12mm deep socket(long) to get to the bolts. Most basic craftsmen tool kits only have 12mm in 1/4 size(not 3/8) and don't have extensions in 1/4 size.

Might help someone...

·
Registered
543 Posts
You can bleed the clutch by yourself, and it is actually better than having someone else help you. Crack the bleeder, push the piston of the slave in SMOOTHLY, hold it fully in there, close the bleeder. Repeat a few times. What it does is push the air out of the slave, and fills it up with fresh fluid. It actually works better than the have a buddy pump method. I was told that it is the proper way to bleed a hydraulic clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts