DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I was coming home on the freeway and happened across a Supra. Very rare in these parts. He had a bondo colored body kit, fartcan exhaust and "blind your ass" tach w/ "retina burn" shift light. Anyway, he was just cruising along, and I zoomed up on him to check it out, cause I could tell what it was from the taillights. He pulled back like he was checking out my car, then got dead even with me. We took this turn on the freeway that drops you to like 40 mph, as soon as it was straight again we went for it. Went up to about 100, and my nose was right at his bumper. WTF? I thought he would have handed me my ass. My ride is stock, no mods yet. Are there Supras out there that arent that quick? Im 100% sure thats what it was.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Apocalypse said:
So last night I was coming home on the freeway and happened across a Supra. Very rare in these parts. He had a bondo colored body kit, fartcan exhaust and "blind your ass" tach w/ "retina burn" shift light. Anyway, he was just cruising along, and I zoomed up on him to check it out, cause I could tell what it was from the taillights. He pulled back like he was checking out my car, then got dead even with me. We took this turn on the freeway that drops you to like 40 mph, as soon as it was straight again we went for it. Went up to about 100, and my nose was right at his bumper. WTF? I thought he would have handed me my ass. My ride is stock, no mods yet. Are there Supras out there that arent that quick? Im 100% sure thats what it was.
depending on the generation

you must have raced a auto mk3 or something

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
MK3's blow, and any non turbo model blows as well. A 3000+ NT MKIV isnt fast by any means. The NT MKIV was a complete waste of money and a big joke to the MKIV community.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
kind of off topic a bit but is there any way to tell the difference between an MKIV N/A supra and a turbo'ed from the exterior alone?
Is spoiler different? G-effects maybe?
Anything?
Keeping in mind most supra owners (N/A or Turbo) change their rims and exhaust...

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
rims, spoiler

the n/a mk4 can beat a stock turbo dsm
as the n/a's run a low 15 with a decent driver.

apparently really good races are between the mid-late 90's stang gt and the mk4 n/a poopra

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only way you can tell is if you have someone with you when your driving next to him, have your friend climb out of the car, being careful not to fall, and knock on his window, then ask him to pop the hood, when he does have your friend climb on your hood and have him try and jump over to the supra, then some way, maybe with some sort of scaffold attached to your bumper and the supras bumper, and make sure you guys are driving the same speed or it won't work! and have him open the hood and look under the exhaust manifold to see if there is two little snails sitting there hibernating, and lets try and do this at a reasonable speed people, I don't want to see anyone gettting hurt..........................and only on the 97-98 models it says "Supra Turbo" right over the passenger side tailight.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The NT's had 16" wheels while the Turbos had 17" wheels.
They were of the same design though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, as a mk4 supra owner I'll answer this question. It is true only the 97-98s have turbo badges but you can tell from the wheels like BadDSM said. The turbos usually have chrome 17"s and the n/a's have dull 16"s that are a little different. If it was slow, I'm sure its a n/a. Mine is n/a but don't rip on them. Stock n/a times are low 15s.

·
Registered
319 Posts
RSPSupra97 said:
Ok, as a mk4 supra owner I'll answer this question. It is true only the 97-98s have turbo badges but you can tell from the wheels like BadDSM said. The turbos usually have chrome 17"s and the n/a's have dull 16"s that are a little different. If it was slow, I'm sure its a n/a. Mine is n/a but don't rip on them. Stock n/a times are low 15s.

NewsFlash: Low 15s is not fast :eek: :p ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is true...the 7M-GTE motor does have more torque potential than the 2JZ-GTE, on ripleys believe it or not! and the bottom end of a 7M can take a beating better than any other stock bottom end car that wasn't meant to be forced fed, from my recolection. Its just that the 2JZ is so refined and in my opinion obvioulsy without question the most OVER-engineered motor to go into production. Putting down more than 800Whp, close to 3 times the stock rating on a stock bottom end is ummm, yea right. And for the 7m to compete with that is just absurd, but the potential of it is there, and it just gets overlooked because of the potential of the 2JZ. There is a guy over on Supraforums.com, (ASL MKIII) right now with a 7M making over 621Whp at the wheels and 601.6FT/LBS of torque, w/o NOS, with it he expects at least 720-730Whp. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts