DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 laser RS non turbo,with 220,000 km ,I was followin the wife home one day and noticed it gave a puff of smoke when she took off from a stop light,not a real big puff,it only smokes when it idels ,any body know why it would only smoke when its ideling,it only uses about a liter every 3000 km,the commpression is above 160psi all the way across,it has a new pcv valve and fuel filter and almost every thing is new ,it gets a tune up every 6 months, and it was just into the dealers and put on the scope (computer machine)every thing is ok,could it be a pluged cat,or resonator,

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I guess it depends on the color of the smoke.
Typically,
Black - Caused by too much fuel.
White - Water, either condensation in the exhaust system or coolant in the combustion chamber
Blue - Oil in the combustion chamber.
Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
duh I guess I should have said what kind of smoke it was eh? it blue just a puff or two,(oil),but it dont use any oil or not much anyways,the compression (165 is the lowest 175 is the highest)it dose not smoke when it first fired up only if it be sitting after it hot,or its ideling for a few minits,I still cant figure it out,I let it idel for about ten minits, shut it down and pulled the plugs,all of the were the same dry and a real light tan,,
the car runs awsome,it has a K&N filter with 5 1" holes drilled in the air can plus silencer removed,2" exhaust with a cat and 2 resonators no muffler,Accel 300+wires and NGK platnum plugs,under drive pullys,ac removed,new timmin belt,and c/b belt,tons of power,(for a non turbo)in the top end(it almost keeps up with the wifes parents 2000 grand prix GTP)and my friends talon TSI turbo,lacks in the bottom but will still break the tires loose,I figure I will just run it till it stops the rebuilt it,but if I could I would like to fix it from smokin

------------------
91 laser RS/NT
95 honda vlx

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats normal for oil preasure ona 220,000 km engine while im runnin at 80-90 km and the engine its hot the needle it pointing at the "O" above the little oil can thingy at 120km the needle is straight up,at idle the pressure drops way down to only a needle width or two above the first line but the oil light has never come on

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you are *sure* it's oil smoke, and the plugs show no sign of fouling, then likely it's the Turbine oil seal seeping. You will be able to drive it for a long time likely. But, eventually it will go South for the Winter and not return.

Scott

------------------
DIG through the ditches, and BURN through the witches, and SLAM in the back o' ma' DRAGU-LA-AA!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am of the opinion it is NOT the turbo because that car doesn't have one.
Oil smoke at takeoff and/or idling is a classic sign of worn valve stem seals and/or guides. Usually just seals. It's not a big deal. More of an annoyance than anything.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the car is not turbo,Im wounderin' if I did blow a valve seal,about 6 monthes ago I had a pcv valve stick on me and it started smokin bad like blue air every were,I shut it down looked under the hood and every thing looked ok started it nback up and it was fine,I drove it home,and called a friend who said it could be pluged up,I took it out gave it a shake but it never rettled got a new one and put it in and I thaught it was fine until I follewd the wife home one day and saw a puff of blue smoke when she took off from a stop light

------------------
91 laser RS/NT
95 honda vlx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts