DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe you guys know... i just finished putting together my engine(i broke the cam.. and the pistons and valves met) well needless to say i replace all for pistons and i had a used head sittin around. i put on a new headgasket...etc... now when i start it, it doesnt smoke at first... after about 5 minutes it gets a white smoke(maybe alittle blue) when i rev. it gets worse... real thick fog... also i see water coming out of the muffler... but my cooling system is still full... there is a small oil leak under the turbo... it only drips when the car runs... i have no idea what to do next... also the fans dont come on now... man i need help???

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Used head.. did you replace the valve stem seals before putting it on your motor? Since you said the smoke is a little blue, and it puffs up when you rev it, thats what it sounds like to me. I don't see how it could be coolant related since you said your coolant is staying full.

As for water coming out of the muffler.. fairly normal when the car's been sitting.. you can sometimes have condensation build up inside the exhaust pipes. I would be alarmed if you can definitely tell it is coolant.. otherwise consider it normal.

A slow oil leak under the turbo is most likely a crack in the flex section on the turbo's oil drain tube. Same thing has happened on a LOT of 1G cars, including mine. If that is indeed your car's problem (you'll know it because you'll have oil on the 90 degree part of the drain tube below the flex section), you can either buy a new drain tube (60 bucks from Mitsu)... or go for the do-it-yourself fix that costs 5 bucks. Guess which way I went. :D

The do-it-yourself fix is: Drain your oil, then take the drain tube off of the car.. and get out your trusty hacksaw. Cut the flex section out of the drain tube, leaving the bead on the end of each pipe (so it looks just like the bead on an IC pipe). File if necessary so it's smooth to the touch, then rinse out the two pipe halves real good to get all the metal shavings out, and dry them out. Throw the flex section in the trash, you're done with that leaky POS. :D

Then use some 5/8" heater hose (you only need a few inches... autozone/etc sells it by the foot if you don't have any) and a couple small hose clamps... take it over to the car, bolt both tubes back onto the turbo and oil pan (see note below about gaskets)... measure and cut your hose as needed to connect the two tubes (give it a little extra so you have room to clamp), and assemble with your hose clamps.

Gaskets: I've never seen the one at the turbo leak as long as the bolts are tight (gravity helps out a lot there), but the one on the oil pan really doesn't like to seal properly. You have to make sure you get all of the old gasket off, and clean it off with brake cleaner. If there is oil present, the new gasket won't seal, so use brake cleaner and let it dry. Gasket is part # MR258477. Make the bolts good and tight.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jw and slanted j came over today and pritty much said the same thing its not coolant.. and there is oil on the pistons.. i figured it was the seals... if by the seals you mean those things that look like coffee cups that snap on the valve guides... it looks like your local.. what area of houston are you at? im in friendswood? oh.. where can i find a valve spring compressor that will fit the 4g63 head? i bought 1 today and i couldnt get that thing on there ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts