DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been gone awhile and that's mostly due to working like a slave and forgetting about this site. Anyhow, I see the 1.8 section is still hard at work asking questions that have been answered many times over. Do you want a 1.8 to go fast?? Read on and commit to your decision. If you're just here to talk or ask for help, pass this thread on by.

1. All Honda/Cam Gear/Underdrive crank pulley/ NO A/C, Apexi or whatever exhaust can go out the window. I still have r-12 circulating and factory pulleys.

2. Now comes the tips. You have to pull the motor and rebuild it. It's probably about time anyways. It probably smokes and ticks and that's a good indication that all is not well under the hood. Pull it out and find a good rebuild kit. I got mine from importperformanceparts.net . I went with the 10.5 to 1 pistons, and the HD bearings. I sent my camshaft to a vendor of theirs and got it welded and reground. It now has a slight lope at idle and you can hear the compression straining the starter. By rebuilding the motor, I've eliminated 1 source of lost power, blow-by. Read on.

3. Hacked air can, remove silencer, replace rubber ducky with a 2.5" hard pipe.

4. Unbolt the catalytic converter. Get a pipe or piece of re-bar and hollow out the middle. Keep in mind, the ceramic brick inside is surrounded by a steel chain mesh that is very hard to get out. It takes time but in the end, you should finish with a hollow shell that looks like a catalytic converter. It should bolt back in place with the original gaskets (mine did) and be good to go. You now have a performance exhaust good enough for the 1.8

5. Cut down on the weight of the car. I eliminated everything plastic and carpet out of the hatch and all plastic panels under the motor. I still have a back seat as I have a car seat in the passenger rear.

6. Run synthetic oil in the engine and transmission. We are just modding 5 speeds I hope because I doubt an automatic can work good in these cars.

7. Drive it right to achieve your results. To run in the 14 second category, I launch as follows. Let your clutch out just enough to feel slight engagement, stage the motor at about 1,500 rpms, light goes green, gas on and clutch out in a fluid motion. Shift at about 7,500 rpms (remember, I've got a high lift cam) and get through the gears.
%
Bingo, you can out accelerate 90% of the traffic you'll face in a stoplight run. These cars our pretty nice and mine still gets about 35mpg in normal driving. It's also a very reliable car. Any questions, just post. I'll check in a little more often.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to upload my timeslip but came up empty on that idea. I put in my information on the timeslip database. I'm on the 15th page, number 360 unless someone pushes me back since I updated this. I'll try to get a copy of my best timeslip uploaded and if you don't believe my times, that's allright. Don't lose too much sleep over my claims. I've got paper in hand, and I drive the car everyday, she pulls the steering wheel pretty hard under W.O.T. and she goes 15 miles one way on the way to work every morning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not bad. A 75shot would get most into the 14's if not 13's with a few supporting mods. I dont know about you guys, but i put nitrous on everything, its just too simple and cheap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So pretty much you got all your power from a cam, and high compression pistons. I wanna see a time slip before i truly believe all this. I had intake, exhaust and i did all kinds of little tuning tricks and my 1.8L still got stomped by every thing, it was maybe a 19.5 car tops...

Clayton

·
Registered
540 Posts
crazyx said:
So pretty much you got all your power from a cam, and high compression pistons. I wanna see a time slip before i truly believe all this. I had intake, exhaust and i did all kinds of little tuning tricks and my 1.8L still got stomped by every thing, it was maybe a 19.5 car tops...

Clayton
Aren't our cars suppose to be around 18 seconds stock?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't know for sure but i do know the 1.8L is slow as hell. I own one! I just find it hard to believe that with just high compression, a reground cam, and a few little 5hp mods knocks off 4 to 5 seconds in the 1/4 mile. I mean after all that stuff your pushing maybe 140hp or so, and thats at the crank not even at the wheels yet.. Don't get me wrong if i saw proof I'd believe it, but it's just unreal that so little mod's can make such a change. These cars come with 92hp stock....

Also not to beat the drum or dog on any body or anything along those lines, but I've been reading threw some of the 1.8L posts and it just amuses me that some of you are just gonna cut out the filter can and knock out the cat. and expect major gains. First off honestly the most you'll get is 15hp TOPS! Second after you do both of them, guess what your car is still slow... I'm sorry if i come off as an asshole but this is my honest opinion....

This is a bit of a hypocritical post, because I've been building my 1.8L for a wile now. I've been toying with the idea of dropping a 4G63T in it but if this stuff is true breaking into the 14's with those mods, then awesome, I'll preform them and then take it to the next step which will be a small turbo.

Sandcobra164, I admire your progress with your 1.8L and the fact that your trying to bring the 1.8L community the information and potential that the 1.8L has. Good luck with your tuning and i wish to see time slips of this 14 secondish run sometime.

This is my $0.02

Clayton

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think you all under-estimate your motor's.

im obviousely a 4g32, but our motor's are very closely related, and the motor's strength's are easily comparable.

ive only ran the car 3 run's on pretty bald tire's (never got better then a 2.3 6footer), and hit a best of 14.8X at like 95mph. thats a fully stock, never touched motor, and stock itty bitty 9a turbo with just basic crap i had laying around for mod's.

so all you 1.8 guy's should need is one of my stock turbo mani's, and turbo's along with piping, and you should be alot faster then even me.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yea our cars are slow, but they have alot of potential and respond to upgrades well. My car has alot of bolt on's done to it and when i put it agaisnt my friends 1.8 that only has exhuast on it, i smoke him dirty. Its like im not even in a 1.8, but rather a 2.0. My .02 cents is that with the right mods and the right driver a 1.8 can do alot more than what you think.

·
Registered
193 Posts
sandcobra164 said:
I tried to upload my timeslip but came up empty on that idea...
Upload it at photobucket and then paste a url for us. Photobucket is easy as pie and free as well. :)

Me... As an owner of one of these cars... I would have to see a video to believe any of this garbage. NOT in a 1.8l NT and definitely NOT with those mods. NOT even with a 'good' car behind you and pushing... :eek:

crazyx said:
I don't know for sure but i do know the 1.8L is slow as hell. I own one! I just find it hard to believe that with just high compression, a reground cam, and a few little 5hp mods knocks off 4 to 5 seconds in the 1/4 mile. I mean after all that stuff your pushing maybe 140hp or so, and thats at the crank not even at the wheels yet.. Don't get me wrong if i saw proof I'd believe it, but it's just unreal that so little mod's can make such a change. These cars come with 92hp stock.... (correct :) )

Blah.. Blah...

Second after you do both of them, guess what your car is still slow... (correct :) )

Well said crazyx... ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try uploading to photobucket and will let you know how that goes. As for higher compression, reground cam and a few little 5 hp mods I have this to say. Alot of people in this 1.8L section have bone stock long blocks with 150,000 to 200,000 plus miles on original long blocks save for the occasional timing belt / head gasket change. It just doesn't make a great deal of sense to mod such a setup. Rebuilding the motor, adding 10.5 to 1 compression pistons along with a high lift cam grind that pulls hard to 7,500 rpms rather than giving up just high of 4,500 rpms makes alot of difference on these motors. Then you'll realize solid gains out of mods that do not make much difference for a worn out motor.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey Sandcobra where did you get your pistons from, and did you bore out your block at all? I've been thinking about getting higher compression pistons, but i dont want to bore the block at all. I like the displacement that it already has. I really dont know jack about compression ratios and all that technical stuff. I know what goals i want out of my car but i dont know how to get there or the best way. Could you offer any good links to some readings that could help educate me on this matter so i might be able to find my own means to my end, instead of just simply copying what you or someone else has already done?

·
Registered
137 Posts
sandcobra164 said:
a high lift cam grind that pulls hard to 7,500 rpms
I don't know what engine you got but my car red lines at 6,000 and rev limiter kicks in at 5,800 I have yet to see a 1.8L that didn't redline at 6,000. Something like that turning that many rpms is bound to blow the hell up! SOHC don't like very high rpm's like DOHC.... Good luck with that. If i'm right the 2.0's redline even at 7,000rpm...

No affiance(spl?) but it kinda feels like your blowin alot of smoke up my ass.....

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Mischif said:
Hey Sandcobra where did you get your pistons from, and did you bore out your block at all? I've been thinking about getting higher compression pistons, but i dont want to bore the block at all. I like the displacement that it already has. I really dont know jack about compression ratios and all that technical stuff. I know what goals i want out of my car but i dont know how to get there or the best way. Could you offer any good links to some readings that could help educate me on this matter so i might be able to find my own means to my end, instead of just simply copying what you or someone else has already done?
Boring a 1.8l out isn't to increase displacement, its to give the bore a fresh surface for the rings to seat in as well as correct any out of roundness in the bore.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I presume that is correct since he did get his cam reground and that would cause the power band to change, but in turn that would cause him to have pretty much nothing off the line but once you got into the power band i could see how it pulls up there, but still 14's i have doubts about.

Clayton

1 - 20 of 35 Posts