DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sean485 said:
Boring a 1.8l out isn't to increase displacement, its to give the bore a fresh surface for the rings to seat in as well as correct any out of roundness in the bore.
I though that was called honeing? So when people say they bored their engines .01/.02 or whatever, that doesnt increase the displacement it just takes out flaws and gives it a fresh surface.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mischif said:
I though that was called honeing? So when people say they bored their engines .01/.02 or whatever, that doesnt increase the displacement it just takes out flaws and gives it a fresh surface.
Technically it does, I'm not going to figure out how much because its so tiny. You choose over-sized pistons to fit your .020/.030/.040 oversize bores because to turn an oval into a circle again, you need to make it a larger circle. Any imperfections can't be filled, you just take material out and start fresh, slightly larger.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Okay i think i get it. Wouldnt one want to get the smallest oversize possible
.01. That way when it comes time for another rebuild after the first how many thousands of miles down the road that may be there will still be plenty of cylinder wall left prolonging the overall life of the block?

·
Registered
26 Posts
^

exactly. the bigger over-bore, the weaker the strength of the walls also. the only real reason to pluus size your pistons is to fix a bad cyl pretty much.

·
Registered
40 Posts
lmao, my 1.8 runs 18.0 i have a timeslip. Its slow, boosted 1.8's have a hard time getting into the 14's. As far as rev-limits and the such. My car has definately revved, 7600 RPM. I was teaching my friend how to drive a stick and he pulled it from 5th to 2nd going 60mph. As far as revving under its own power, ive seen 6500, while stuck in the snow in reverse with it WOT. and about 6300-6400 in first with it WOT. It makes absolutely NO power up there, i do it for laughs when i have my car buddies with me and am talking about how slow my car is. I have never felt a definitive rev limiter in my car, i think it just valve floats around 6300. As far as anyone making power with a 4g37 past 7000 ive never seen a vid or ANY other proof from any of the people that claim it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
How about this.. Instead of copying the time slip on here.. Post all the readings off the timeslip..

60'
330'
1/8 mile
1/8 mile mph
1000'
1/4 mile
1/4 mile mph

List all that and then, maybe then.. It will be believable..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I dont think that such a good idea, because he could just say whatever he wanted to. Ya know?

He has to post an actual time slip, in order to be believeable. Esp if there are a bunch of haters, at least proving it like that would make them shut up...lol

·
Registered
436 Posts
hnda8r said:
I dont think that such a good idea, because he could just say whatever he wanted to. Ya know?

He has to post an actual time slip, in order to be believeable. Esp if there are a bunch of haters, at least proving it like that would make them shut up...lol
Well, Im not sure about you, but I could point out if he was lying on a certain time or not..

·
Registered
252 Posts
944G37 said:
lmao, my 1.8 runs 18.0 i have a timeslip.
LOL! You're probably faster than my 1.8

stillbroke said:
Well, Im not sure about you, but I could point out if he was lying on a certain time or not..
+1. You can have two exact timed runs with the same car and have two very different timeslips. A skilled person can tell how another driver drives just by reading their slips. They don't even have to see the run.

I'm interested too if this slip ever gets posted to see what it reads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My car has been rebuilt from the ground up for reliability too. New rings, bearings, oil pump, timing belt/pulleys, wheel bearings all around, brakes all around, synthetic oil after the rings were broken in, no cat, CAI, new clutch, rebuilt head with stock parts. Ive had it to the track twice. One time it was gutted to the sheetmetal from the front seats back and i ran 18.3's all day. The last time it was full interior about 100lbs worth of stereo equipment with a lot better tires (better as in, new, narrower, and roll easier, not better as in more traction, traction is not an issue with a 1.8) and its best run was 18.0 at like 73 mph. I was letting a bunch of my car club buddys beat on it while i ran my Trans Am, they were launching it so hard though they were out 60'ing a modded 1g gs-t that was with us. Pretty much like 5500rpm slip launches.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I pretty sure the OP is running 14's in the 1000'.. That would be ~mid - high 16s in the 1/4..

·
Registered
26 Posts
18's!?!? lol.

my slowest car ive had to the track was my beater 1st gen integra with a D series motor only running on 3 cylinder's. and still did a 17.3. friends still make fun of me for that to this day. lol

:edit:
found a pic of the old beast!

FTW!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know what engine you got but my car red lines at 6,000 and rev limiter kicks in at 5,800 I have yet to see a 1.8L that didn't redline at 6,000. Something like that turning that many rpms is bound to blow the hell up! SOHC don't like very high rpm's like DOHC.... Good luck with that. If i'm right the 2.0's redline even at 7,000rpm...

No affiance(spl?) but it kinda feels like your blowin alot of smoke up my ass.....
hey man the 1.8 is marked redline at 6. i threw a cherry bomb on my car lmao and it zooms past red line and spanks limiter at about 6800-7000 and pops like crazy hahaha

21 - 35 of 35 Posts