DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My first problem is my timing is off. I have the book for my car, and have done a lot of reading. I need to know, it talks about lining up the timing mark for the distributor, is that the little dot with the red line pointing to it in the picture?

And also, the one with the orange line, there are two of these marks, are they for anything?

Another question I have is, even if I find the marks on the distributor, where do they line up to?

I know the engine needs to be at TDC of cylinder #1. Which brings me to my last question, is there anyway for me to get the engine to this point and realize it with just the upper timing cover removed?

I bought this motor from a junkyard, and although I think the timing is correct on the belt, I haven't confirmed it. I had to rush to install because I had no where to store the engine. Also, I did manage to start the engine before just by guessing and moving the distributor around. (Although it didn't sound great, which is why I am trying to properly get it done)

Thank you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I have made some progress with this I think. I got it to where I moved the distributor around, and the engine sounds pretty decent. The thing is I used a timing light, and my engine was up to operating temperature with the timing mark lining up to the 5 mark on the timing indicator, but if I give it gas the engine just stalls or bogs down? I have checked for spark and fuel, is it possible I can get the car to run with the distributor being on the wrong teeth? If my firing order were wrong, the car wouldn't start at all, would it?>

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
When you are lining up the marks with the timing light are you using the connector on the firewall to lock the ecu out of messing with ignition timing? I am not familar with the 1.8 distributors specifically but in general the specific tooth the cog is on isn't all that critical as long as you can rotate the distributor body enough to get the ignition timing where it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I am not doing this. By any chance can someone show me a picture of this connector? I will try looking for it tomorrow. My book only says something about doing it on the 2.0 motor, but does not mention it on the 1.8.

My main problem is I can get my timing light to show 5 (although it is a little wobbly, but when I give the car gas it will start to accelerate and then just bog out, sometimes stalling if I try to go WOT.)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was looking at the car again today. I lined up what I BELIEVE to be the timing mark on the pulley of the crank, and this left the cam gear timing mark 4 teeth off from the timing mark on the cover!! This can't be right can it? My car starts, would this be possible the mark off by 4 teeth?

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
It is possible, the 1.8 is not an interference engine. I wouldn't take the timing marks off the plastic cover down near the crank pulley as gospel though. Pulling the timing cover and comparing the marks on the front case would be the way to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Timing connector location: http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/1G/timingconn.htm

The plug you want is a connector that looks like it is designed for 2 wires, but only has one wire in it. Make sure that you attach the wire to the pin in the connector and not the "lock" that is in the center of the connector that looks like a pin, it doesn't work... I tried it once :p

Note in that picture you can see another single wire connector (much smaller) a bit to the left. That is the fuel pump override wire, do NOT ground that wire as it will have +12v when the car is running and you may cause damage to your wiring.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much, this is very useful information!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.