DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....I have a 90 Talon (awd) and it has been off the road for about 5 MONTHS now. I have had a HUGE CHAIN of problems with it that have kept it off the road. Right now, the problem is with the ignition. NOT the distributor or any of that...but the Key. The car won't go to "ACC" or to "on". On 1g's when you put the key in you will have a steady tone telling you the door is open, then (when you turn the key to "acc") you will hear a few beeps and then they stop, the next thing is to turn the key to on and then start it...well IT WON'T DO ANYTHING!! It was turning over - i thought it was finally going to start...then it just "died". Any ideas??? I just replaced the fuel Pump, which had managed to short out on me. someone help. I forgot what the car was like to drive.
Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
yes, i agree check your battery and charging system first. you said your fuel pump shorted out, how did it short out?? check all the wiring to the fuel pump and around the "short". also check every single fuse and relay, exspecially the ignition fuses and relay's

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I have power (enough to raise the lights) and i keep the battery on charge to make sure there is juice in it. I didn't, however, check all the fuses. I figured that if a fuse had blown - nothing would work at all. But when i put the key in i get that REALLY annoying tone telling me the door is open, then nothing more. no "acc" no "on" or starting of the motor. Maybe some sort of ground wire?? Does anyone know where the ignition switch (where the key is put in) ground wire is?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Funny you mentioned the ground wire. I had a similar problem with my 90 GSX once, and it went away after I replaced the battery terminals and relocated the ground wire. This may not be your problem but it's a simple fix you might want to try anyway. Good luck.

Danny,
90 GSX

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Your key physically turns, right? I wasn't sure if the key didn't turn or if nothing happens when you turn it to accesory or start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, My key Physically turns...It's not locked or anything (like what happens if you have the steering wheel turned when you shut the car off and then the wheel lock won't let you turn the key). Everything works like normal.. lights, gauges..ect. The car just won't turn "on". The point with the battery is well taken!!! I will take a look tomorrow. THANKS!
Any other suggestions?

[This message has been edited by BoostPwer90 (edited August 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
729 Posts
When you turn your key all the way to "on", everything works right? And then when you turn it to start nothing happens? If its not the battery/ground, fuse, or relays that someone already suggested, I would think its the starter selenoid or the starter itself. Unfortunatly the starter is in one of the least convenient locations an engineer could have thought of. It also isn't cheap to replace. I can't remember, but does anyone know whether the selenoid is internal or external on our starters? I repaired the external selenoid on my 90 corolla when that went bad. It cost about $1.50 for new contacts at an auto electric shop, when it cost over $200 for a new starter.

By the way, what other problems and work have you had done recently that might have contributed to this current problem? Any clutch or tranny work might have left the electrical connections to the starter "forgotten about" during reassembly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After all of the basic stuff checks out, I would suggest that you check the wire harness that connects directly to the key cylinder assembly... It may have come loose, despite the plastic retaining pin... after that, visually check the harness for aftermarket integration... Most alarm systems integrate into these wires for the Started Disable and Ignition Kill features... These can also lead to problems down the road if the wires that were cut were not properly recrimped

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Again for the replys!! Eben - that is a really good idea... I will look to see if anything like that had happened. I guess i was unclear when i wrote my last post. Nothing happens afteryou put the key in the ignition. The car won't go to "acc" or to "on" (the point at whih you can listen to the radio) But the key Does physically turn. It just seems like the switch inside isn't working. I will try the suggestions today.
Thanks>>!!!!!!

·
Registered
921 Posts
you also can pick up a Ign tester switch it is nothing more then a push gutton that you clip to the batt and to the starter and put the key to "on" you hit the button and the starter get's power. if the car starts and runs you have a bad switch. replace with NEW unit not used. not worth the PITA it can be

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok....well....i am blind. I found - guess what, a BLOWN FUSE! I must have over looked it. I bought a new fuse and the car was almost started when it blew again. What could cause that?? I have recently installed a high flow fuel pump from Extreme Motorsports. Would the extra draw of the pump blow the fuse??
....help..

·
Registered
871 Posts
what fuse did it blow??? couldn't see a fuel pump install causing a fuse to blow, unless something is hooked up wrong or even shorting out. i would definitly double,no triple check the fuel pump wiring, one little spark and....well you know.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
325 Posts
Sorry to post on an old thread, but what was the problem?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts