DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night the radio "popped" and my battery light came on and the car died just like it did when the alternator power wire melted...but then everything came back to normal, the lights work, i drove it for an hour......then i noticed when i came to a stop, the idle is now at 2k rpms....which is what it does when the alternator isn't charging the battery..but it is.

I dont' understand what the popping was from, it was as if the alternator wasn't charging the battery but i drove the car for an hour last night with the radio on, high beams, and all my gauge lights.....the idle slowly climbs to 2k rpms when i stop.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Short circuit 101. :(

How are your fuses, did you do a quick check after the little blow-up ? Could be a ground behind your deck getting loose, or maybe an unused 12V constant is grounding out somewhere.

How is everything in the center tunnel ? All soldered and electrical taped ? Do you have a multimeter you can test the battery and alternator with ?

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd hope they're all soldered because i haven't touched them....i did however find a loose nut on the + cable that i have tighened up but hasn't seemed to have fixed the high idle problem completly..i managed to get the idle down to about 750rpms (which is good) but it won't go lower than that when i take the screw out (which is bad)

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
K_Mans_TSI said:
i managed to get the idle down to about 750rpms (which is good) but it won't go lower than that when i take the screw out (which is bad)
Try adjusting it by the Idle Speed Sensor. The one on top of the throttle body that has a single green wire goiing to it. Make sure that the sensor is barely toucinh the throttle plate. Also check the throttle cable. Sometimes they stick and cause high idle conditions...

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once again the joyous 2g computer decided to stick it's nose where it didnt' belong.

I reset the computer and all is well, dunno what caused it but aparently the computer saw a problem and said "hey i'm gonna raise the idle for the hell of it"

Thanks for the suggestions tho, i've come to the conclusion, when in doubt...reset the computer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts