DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car…First time I started it up, it starts making this rotating squeaking noise…like something is rubbing against something else. I do it several times more in a time frame of about 20 min. Same thing every time. I was thinking it might be something with the clutch rubbing against something else??? Before I bought it I started it twice no problem whatsoever. Both times it was after the car came from a drive. This time it was in the morning when I started it. Could it have to do something with starting from cold and starting from warm?
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I dony know about your year but the 95' up GSX's have a problem with the starter getting cought up in the flywheel. Its nothing big just doesnt retract fast enough.

Does the sound go right away after a second or two?

If so its prob. that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it goes away after 2-3 sec...
can it be fixed?
I'd feel embarassed to start the car close to people and then it starts making that fu*ked up noise!
"nice looking car, making terrible squeaking noise" :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
489 Posts
not really. Its just the starter so a new one might fix it for a while.

My friend's 97' does the exact same thing. He replaced the starter and after a few weeks it returned again. :rolleyes:

Its not going to kill your car so i wouldnt worry about it. thats money you could spend on mods:D

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm gonna put my money on loose belts. When the car warms up, it'll get better grip and stop squealing. Anyway, look for an accumulation of black rubber dust around your belts. That's a solid sign that your belts are too loose. If that's not the problem, can't really help you.

·
Registered
489 Posts
if your belts were loose than the sound wouldnt go away right away. Also when he presses on the accelerator the belts should make some noise if it were that.

·
Elite DSMtalker
906 Posts
Its the air conditioning compressor clutch spinning up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
GST2EVO said:
if your belts were loose than the sound wouldnt go away right away. Also when he presses on the accelerator the belts should make some noise if it were that.
It really could be the belts. The initial strain that is put on the belts to get them up to speed could spin them for a second. Then the belts could catch and the squeaking would stop to. If the belts were really lose it would squeak constantly. My belts used to do the same thing but it got progressivly worse untill they did spin consistantly like you said but the few second squeak at start up is what it starts out as.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i just got that too. when i start it up, it like squeeks hard, only for like a second. it did it once when shutting her down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
90FWDDSM said:

It really could be the belts. The initial strain that is put on the belts to get them up to speed could spin them for a second. Then the belts could catch and the squeaking would stop to. If the belts were really lose it would squeak constantly. My belts used to do the same thing but it got progressivly worse untill they did spin consistantly like you said but the few second squeak at start up is what it starts out as.
Well looks like most of you say it's the belts...
90FWDDSM: what did you end up doing in the end? did you try to retension the belts somehow or just went out and bought new ones? Besides you all talk about "belts". I assume it could be any of the ones in the engine compartment or do any of you refer to any specific ones that could cause the squeaking.

bmwmon: welcome to the squeaking club...it pisses the sh*t out of me when I hear it at startup. The noise scratches on my brain when I hear it.

I for one was thinking that considering 90FWDDSM's comment about he initial strain put on the belts could be very plausible...especially now that winter is comming close and the temperatures drop and the elasticity of the belt drops and becomes stiffer.

I just hope it is just a belt and not anything else...too bad I haven't had any chace to check out any of the points listed here at the car. (no time) :(

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Try tensioning first. The belts need to be pretty tight. If that doesn't work then replacement is necessary. I once had a power steering belt that no amount of tightening would quiet.

It could be either the power steering belt or the alternator belt. I've had both at one time or another make noise. It is easy to distinguish the above two from the A/C belt as the latter will will only make noise when the compressor cycles on.

And yes, it is common for the belts to only squeal at startup.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i've researched this noise on my car for a long time now

tons of people have told me im a dumbass and its just hte belts

i really believe my sound is that starter now

cause cold or warm engine, cold or warm climate makes no difference, and no matter what that sound stops after 2 seconds NEVER any longer

belts are always sporatic and their sound can vary with temperatures/humidity and stuff

usually when you rev an engine witha squealing belt it will squeal worse till it heats up and catches

yes and that noise pisses the fuck out of me also "scratches the brain"

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
unior said:

yes and that noise pisses the fuck out of me also "scratches the brain"
Tell me about it...I feel like starting up my car with earplugs so that I won't have to hear them.

Well I will change all my belts once the winter is over here in Toronto (might take another 2 months:(). Ah well.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
It might not be the belts totaly bad. I tightened my belts up and that fixed it completely. In the cold sometimes i get a very faint squeak but driving its noticable and you can only hear it if you bend down to listen. If you do tighten them make sure you get them as tight as you can.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts