DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somebody tell me what could be wrong......i went to wal mart and my car was running fine,i came out and battery was dead i thought i left some light on somewhere so i pushed started it well then it went nutz my timer was cutting off and on my stereo was all crazy...then it started back fireing and sputtering no boost past 9 psi i took it home as quick as i could and shut it down now battery is dead...will a bad altenator do all this???my power steering line broke and sprayed the alt. with fluid the week before.also my car runs rich and it is leaking back in the car when the windows are down gives you a headache.not good mkay..any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks to everyone for saving my ass countless times.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Take the battery to any car parts store and have it checked. If it checks out then yes it could be your alternator.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
My guess would be a bad alternator, it can cause alot of wierd problems. as for running rich, if the coil doesn't have sufficient power it won't completly burn the fuel and hence it will have little power.
Take the battery to any car parts store and have it checked. If it checks out then yes it could be your alternator.
Could also be the battery, they ussually go out together, bad battery takes out alternator, bad alternator drains the battery too low and kills it.

Also any liquid on the alternator is a very bad thing, any liquid on any electrical componet on these cars is a bad thing, there are rather sensative to moisture.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You're right especially a liquid that won't evaporate easily like PS fluid

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
is it possible he might have shorted something on the alternator and messed up the ecu. that seems like alot of problems but the whole dead batt and alt seems to make more sense. just a thought though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the same thing happened to my car. i replaced the battery and everything was fine. we could jump start the car but the battery wasnt holding a charge well so when we went to drive the car was bucking and felt like it was shutting on and off on and off. We did an altenator test and the alt was charing fine just the battery wasnt holding the charge that the alt was giving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts