DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search for about 45 mins but no luck on this particular problem. Here it is! Car starts, car drives, no problem!! Shut car off, turn ignition, EVERYTHING goes dead, wait a while, disconnect batt., something resets? car starts, runs, drives.... Repeat!

I have checked all connections, grounds, and fuses I can find. Took battery cables off cleaned throughly and reinstaled. I don't know if it is reseting due to the battery being disconnected or just due to time, but in any case I am lost!

Also when I was pulling fuses, there was one 10 amp fuse (ROOM/PLAFON) that when I pulled it the door buzzer started working again but only till the fuse was plugged back in. WTF!!! could this be somthing to do with the anti-theft system?? And if so where do you start to check that? I couldn't find anything helpful in my chiltons.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No thoughts??? I was wondering if the ECU could be the problem? No fishy nasty smell but I don't know what else to look for! Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is the CEL ever on throughout this?
Do you have a turbo timer? (Reason I ask is this can interfere with ignition, my old one did)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No cel when running and when it does this there are no lights at all.... Everything goes dead

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't think it is your ECU then, it wouldn't prevent everything in the car from getting power. I am puzzled as to what it could be right now, but I did have the same problem when my turbo timer went bad.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No turbo timer! I am at a loss... Don't know where to go from here! Also an added bit of infromation, after it resets, sometimes it will show lights and door buzzer will work etc.. Till I turn the key to start and then it all goes dead again.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I actually don't know where it is. If I had to guess I would say near the starter. I'm sure someone on here knows though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also we tried to push start it with no success! No power anywhere...

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Check your grounds. I bet one is lose. Also make sure the battery connections are clean.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
It sounds lik a relay.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it is a relay would that cause everything electrical to cut out?

·
Registered
308 Posts
90gen1tsi said:
If it is a relay would that cause everything electrical to cut out?
It's possible if the relay is activating a short. When you turn the key to start the car the starter relay is supposed to close it's internal switch allowing current to flow from the battery to the starter. It could be a short in that wire or it could be an internal short in the relay.

Bad relays can be tricky too. Sometimes the problem goes away if enough time passes, due to expansion and contraction of the element creating the short for example.

Here's an example of all the things that can go wrong with the main EFI relay (in a Honda). http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayoperation/badmainrelay.html
The variety of symptoms it creates could have you analyzing the entire car before you figure it out.

Then again, maybe it isn't even the starter relay at all and it's a loose ground like Burnett said.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once again thank you for the help! I have checked and re-checked the grounds and battery connections to no avail! I may be missing a ground somewhere though... I caught a ride to work with a friend today and will continue the search when I get home. Now the car is totally dead! Usually after some time it will act normal again but this time it has stayed dead. I have not disconnected the battery this go around yet. I will try that again when I get home.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Check your MPI relay behind the stereo by the ECU. It sounds like it's latching and not de-energizing. Mine took a dump after I got a tune finished. I went to start it to pull out and the bastage was fried. I'm just lucky that my buddy had a spare one.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been doing some searching and it sounds like the MPI could definatly be the issue! Is there a good way to test this? I will keep searching, but if you know that would be great!

·
Registered
849 Posts
90gen1tsi said:
I did search for about 45 mins but no luck on this particular problem. Here it is! Car starts, car drives, no problem!! Shut car off, turn ignition, EVERYTHING goes dead, wait a while, disconnect batt., something resets? car starts, runs, drives.... Repeat!

I have checked all connections, grounds, and fuses I can find. Took battery cables off cleaned throughly and reinstaled. I don't know if it is reseting due to the battery being disconnected or just due to time, but in any case I am lost!

Also when I was pulling fuses, there was one 10 amp fuse (ROOM/PLAFON) that when I pulled it the door buzzer started working again but only till the fuse was plugged back in. WTF!!! could this be somthing to do with the anti-theft system?? And if so where do you start to check that? I couldn't find anything helpful in my chiltons.
I had something similar. I needed to tighten up the battery cable on the termainl of teh battery, like using a wrench instead of hand... it fixed my mystery problem. HOpe it helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
F-ing dealer parts place is useless... They don't even know what an MPI relay is and won't look it up for me... they want me to bring the part in!!! This is getting frustrating!!!!!

Oh and I alreay cleaned and tightened the terminals with wrenches.. Thank's though!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts