DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is recommended for a 1g talon tsi? Is there a special type of plugs and wires to get? I also heard that the gap in the manual was wrong, what is the right gap?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The preferred plug wire seem to be the Magnecor. Also NGK plugs work well with these. A colder plug retains less heat between combustion cysles.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
NGK BPR7ES - these are one heat range cooler than stock.
Magnecor wires seem to be the preference, although I am running Accel 300+ ThunderSports. I like them so far. They only cost me $50.00 or so at PerpBoys. You can get them in red, blue, or yellow.
I've heard that you should gap plugs at .029, I run mine at .030-.031 with no problems.
------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love, Bleed DSM...

[This message has been edited by Van (edited October 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been running mine at .028, my idle and timing seemed a little rough at .030. And yes, Magnacores 8.5mm are one of the wires you can buy. Exspensive but well worth it

·
Registered
231 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntenseTsi:
Magnacores 8.5mm are one of the wires you can buy. Exspensive but well worth it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah if you can get them. I've heard that they're on national backorder! I'm sstill waiting for mine. I might go out and gets soem crappy ones until they arrive.

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
I think you can get away with either Magnecor or stock wires -- both are about the same price within $5 (gotta shop around!) I've heard good things about both, but what I thought was interesting were the specs on cars I've seen that produce in excess of 400 hp using stock wires -- apparently they're that good. Also, my local dealer tech swears by them (and claims that he's not just rooting for OEM products just because he works there).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had no problems w/ NGK wires, they run about $50.00 I think.
As for plugs go with the NGK's as well, as posted above. If your car is bone stock you probably shouldn't go with the colder range plugs though.
- Nick 90 AWD

·
Registered
48 Posts
has anybody tried the new iridium plugs yet? i wonder if they're any good or if they are along the same lines as platinum. just curious

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
jags95gs said:
has anybody tried the new iridium plugs yet? i wonder if they're any good or if they are along the same lines as platinum. just curious
They aren't as good performance wise as copper plugs. Stay away from iridium and platinum, those are just made to last a long time. The 4g63's don't care for those plugs at all.

·
Registered
257 Posts
NGK for wires and plugs. I would never touch anything else. Magnacore are good also but can be pricey. I have had a set of accells start to cause my spark to break up in about 4 months after buying them.

Ive also had a set of MSD wires go bad in about 2 months or they where bad from the beginning. Just swapping to ngks wires fixed the issue and they have been in the car for a year. Maybe I had bad luck or something.

I run 30psi dropping to 24 bye redline with a .028 gap with zero break up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive been through about 4 sets of wires. 2 sets of magnacores, Something else and now ngk. The NGK have held up. the others lasted about a year and started arching.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think there was a write up about this a week or so ago. Someone went through and compared the OHM ranges of popular wire sets. It was pretty helpful, maybe someone can look it up for you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Spam Assault. Remove that junk. Otherwise, NGK is a solid brand, not slighting any other brands, like magnacore or the like, but I've run NGK, plugs and wires, in all of my cars, even my 76 Skylark (RIP). <--- not plug related :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I run ngk bpr7es plugs in my eclipse with MSD wires and make mid 400awhp on a dd dyno and don't have any problems my ignition system.

·
Registered
718 Posts
"European and Asian suck one big dong and share its soupy load"

Well, Ok then! :D

For future reference, I only run NGK (plus and wires) and have never had a single problem with them. Stick with the 6's if you're on the stock turbo or if you drive like a grandma. 7's are for larger turbos or tunes that require a colder plug.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.