DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this be done? I have thought of it and a friend wants to try but we need info! ASIDE from the truck area what else would need extensive modding? HELP

------------------

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nothing is impossible but the cost is astronomical. I've only ever heard of one FWD converted to AWD and it was 6000$. Anything can be done if you fabricate enough stuff..question is why bother? Sure it would be cool but ..not THAT cool. BTW it ain't just trunk that gets modified. The entire rear of the car is different. suspension. frame mounts. floorpan...everything. This is the stuff of pure professional fabrication...not the garage amatuer

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I would agree with the above. Buy a GSX and chop the top. Much easier, and less expensive. Therefore, more fun to do. I actually thought about doing that with my Talon as I was prepping it for new paint. Maybe next time...

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know the whole rear has to change but I was refering to the trunk having to be remade to fit the rear. I too think buying a GSX and chopping it would be better, but It would not be the same.....I think My friend want to do it for the fun of the PROJECT. But any way thanks for the replies

·
Registered
112 Posts
Actually, you would have lot of problems with buying a GSX and chopping the top. You would have leaks, and the top might not seal up right. It is actually better to buy a GS-T spyder and convert it to GSX. You need to also realize the car is going to be very very heavy.

Jeff

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think either cases would require an unfeasable amount of work. The Spyder is NOT simply a chopped top coupe, it's built from the ground up differently. I'd rather just buy a GSX as well, if I wanted AWD *that* badly. :)

Cheers,

------------------
=KTP=
99SpyderGST

[This message has been edited by DRagtop (edited September 10, 2000).]

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Van:
I would agree with the above. Buy a GSX and chop the top. Much easier, and less expensive.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a company out in Cali that will make a convertible out of anything ... just can't remember the name of the place, it was a long time ago. I remember seeing a BMW 7-series - 4 doors and all - that was made into a convertible, I *think* by the place in question. And yes, I'm sure the cost would be absurd. Either way you slice it, making a GSX to a convertible or a Spyder into AWD, it seems like waaaayyyy to much hassle/$$$ to be worth it.

On a side note, what I would REALLY like to have is one of the 1G Eclipses sold in Europe that came with a Targa top!!! Or maybe one of the 1G Eclipse convertible prototypes that never made it to production ... but I have seen a picture of one.

------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

1 - 8 of 8 Posts