DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new cone filter in and it seems there is nothing to attach it to. The airbox bolted on to the frame but when I took it out to put the cone filter on it seems there is nothing to keep it from hanging. I have it attached with a zip tie to keep it in place, but I want to make a permanent attachment. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
u can make custom piping........... but thast alot of work.......... i currently have the same issue and zip ties is my solution too..... kinda sucks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
intake box

I just installed one last weekend and noticed the same problem.
I went to Home Depot and got a sheet of galvanized steel and made my own heat sheild box. It looks great and wasn't that much work if you have tin snips, a drill, and clamps to make the bends. Only took me a couple hours to make too.
I'll take some pics if you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slospyder said:
u can make custom piping........... but thast alot of work.......... i currently have the same issue and zip ties is my solution too..... kinda sucks
What do you have it zip tied to, Mine is zip tied to the coolant bottle top and it doesn't seem to stable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better yet, does anyone have a picture of their 4g64 intake that I can take a look at and figure out what I am doing wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
If interested, I have a few pics of the heatshield I built
from one sheet of galvanized steel from Home Depot ($6.00). I built this
to mount to factory airbox bolts and it is nice and
solid. Just made a template out of cardboard and cut
out the intake hole, factory mounting bolt holes, and
bent to shape. Also bolted on a bottom plate to
to prevent road water/washup from drenching the K&N.

98 GS Spyder page
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,898 Posts
spyderdude24 said:
If interested, I have a few pics of the heatshield I built
from one sheet of galvanized steel from Home Depot ($6.00). I built this
to mount to factory airbox bolts and it is nice and
solid. Just made a template out of cardboard and cut
out the intake hole, factory mounting bolt holes, and
bent to shape. Also bolted on a bottom plate to
to prevent road water/washup from drenching the K&N.

98 GS Spyder page
Very nice indeed!!

One thing...
Why don't you take out the resonator box that is attached to the intake hose?? Just take it out and replace it with a cap (maybe one from plastic bottle)...;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Blackboost,
are talking about the checkerboard box ontop of the MAF? or a ya
talkin about the bottle that was attached underneath the factory filter box (I removed this as I figured it was a bottle to catch any water that may get into the airbox)? Couldn't find any description...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,898 Posts
spyderdude24 said:
Blackboost,
are talking about the checkerboard box ontop of the MAF? or a ya
talkin about the bottle that was attached underneath the factory filter box (I removed this as I figured it was a bottle to catch any water that may get into the airbox)? Couldn't find any description...
The one on top of the MAf. It's another resonator like the one you removed from the beneath the airbox...;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
what did you use to plug this resonator off with? Its clamped
on... I can't imagine it helps airflow with that thing on. Do you know what purpose it has other than to quiet things down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,898 Posts
spyderdude24 said:
what did you use to plug this resonator off with? Its clamped
on... I can't imagine it helps airflow with that thing on. Do you know what purpose it has other than to quiet things down?
A plastic bottle cap. It may soon funny or ghetto but the plastic cap of the Advil pills bottle works wonders....;) I did it on my mother's Montero...LOL!!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried to do the bottle cap thing, but I can't seem to figure out how it works, I couldn't find a bottle cap that would fit in there or would be secure. I sure wish that picture worked, can anyone help me out??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
fastplant,
check out the thread " hacked airbox". I posted the pictures right on one of my response. Let me know if you can't see them. Damn geocities has been blocking my site from here due to "illegal use" BS. ..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
spyderdude24 said:
fastplant,
check out the thread " hacked airbox". I posted the pictures right on one of my response. Let me know if you can't see them. Damn geocities has been blocking my site from here due to "illegal use" BS. ..
They're not working there either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
spyderdude24 said:
Try cutting and pasting the following into your browser.

http://www.geocities.com/chadberg_99/spydermods.html

*I wish there was an aftermarket pipe for the MAS to the Throttle body for our cars. I have thought about making one somehow...
That would definitely be nice. Thanks! How did you do the cold air feed? I'm thinking about doing something similar.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top