DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I was looking into getting the stainless steel braided lines for my car and I was wondering like what lines they can all be used for, fuel, boost,vacuum lines. I want to know what lines you can replace with these and what AN to get them at becuase I'm nto sure how that all works, thanks alot.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm running -8 AN for my pre fuel rail and -6AN after to my fuel pressure regualtor.... I've seen people use them for coolent lines as well, but you'll probably want atleast -10 AN for that.

Hope you have a phat wad of cash laying around... you'r going to need it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can they be used for like boost and vacumm lines and any other pressueized lines besides fuel and coolant lines.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm sure you *could*, but that would be linke -4AN size, and you couldn't use actual AN fittings on the end.... they'd be more like fake AN clamps. You need something with threads for AN fittings. If not, you have to use clamps.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
they can be used for stuff like that but you are better off just getting new black hose. If you have never cut an stuff you are in for a treat.

I have a similar setup to awdenvy and just the lines and buying
fittings cost me 140+. It isn't cheap but it is great for fluids that should have good safe flow. (fuel, oil, coolant and such)

·
Registered
486 Posts
lol..... I remember the first time I was buying fittings. I was like.. I need this... and this.... and this.... and this.

When I put the 10 or so fittings on the counter, total came to $168.. :eek: I was like "For F***ing fittings ?"

I can look back and laugh about it now though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I do all silicone for boost lines and any other without a fitting, and Stainless for all others. -Ian

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So there really only good for fuel,oil,and coolant lines. And for the fuel lines -6 or -8 AN lines woudl be good and for oil and coolant lines what woudl be good??

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean what I really want to know is what lines are they the best for like oil,fuel and coolant, any others. Also what AN sizes should I get for each. Like give me a list I can go off of

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
You can AN stuff for whatever you want. But it makes the most sense to only use AN stuff for fuel and oil (if running an air-cooled oil cooler). Most cars do fine with rubber radiator hoses (though if you want you could put AN weld-on fittings on the water neck and water pipe, and AN fittings on the radiator, and use like AN-20 hose for that). I think it's pointless to run AN stuff for vacuum hoses... just use rubber and if you get a leak, replace the hose. There is no risk of a fluid spill or a fire from a vacuum leak, so there's no reason to front the big expense to do AN hoses for vacuum.

Most recently I did AN-6 lines for a 90 oil cooler on my car. 5 bucks each for the metric adapters (M16x1.5 to 6AN, needed 4), about 10 bucks each for 4 90 degree AN-6 hose ends, and 35 bucks worth of #6 SS hose (6 feet). So that's 95 bucks to run 6 feet of hose, just to give you an idea of the cost involved...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
AWD_ENVY said:
I'm running -8 AN for my pre fuel rail and -6AN after to my fuel pressure regualtor.... I've seen people use them for coolent lines as well, but you'll probably want atleast -10 AN for that.

Hope you have a phat wad of cash laying around... you'r going to need it.
When you tap your fuel rail, what did you use to seal the fuel rail. Did you use jb weld or teflon tape?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You have to use jb weld. If not it'll leak like crazy. I also have the tap that you have to use, if your intrested just pm me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
For what it's worth, one of my three jobs is airplane maintanance, and planes are almost entirely done in AN fittings. I looked in a few of our parts catalogs, and the prices are much cheaper than Summit or any car part store. The fittings just don't have the "Aeroquip" name brand, but they're still the pretty anodized blue/red colors. Usually, the fittings come in packs of ten or more, so you could get together with a few fellow DSMers and get it done on the cheap. Of course, the quality is good, it has to be when you're at 10,000 feet...

On another note, one of the planes in my hangar has a turbo on it the size of my head...I wonder if it will fit...???? :)

Remember, always think of unconventional solutions to conventional problems.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Heheh... planes are done in AN fittings? NAWWW.

AN stands for Army-Navy.. the whole system was developed for military planes. :D Then the racecar people got a hold of it and Earl's / Russell / Aeroquip started getting rich on it... lol

That's real cool that you can get the stuff cheap. I'll have to remember that, and see if maybe a few locals want to buy a whole ton of AN stuff for their fuel systems or whatever. As long as it's 37 degree flares it will work (37 is AN spec.. there are also 45 degree flares used in home A/C stuff.. and another flare angle I can't think of). Anything you get for aviation is gonna be 37 degree though, right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts