DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM JUST ABOUT TO DO THIS,
INSTALL A FMIC FROM A MITSU.STARION TO MY
90TSI AWD.
ANYBODY WITH THIS?
IT IS A GOOD MOD OR SHOULD I WAIT TO BUY A BETTER FMIC.?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just save up and buy a good setup. I have the Buschar FMIC, and I originaly wanted to install a Starion Ic. I took it down to TURBO TRIX and Jeff said it was not worth it.

------------------

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,153 Posts
ive seen alot of good come out of the starquest ic. and for the price you can pick them up for its almost free horse power. thers some vfax on install and ive seen the numbers at www.dsm.org

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got to agree that the starquest IC is a waste of time, reason, it's too small. Besides you still have to make your own tubing. . . not a bad thing but make good use of your time and make tubing for a real FMIC.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,153 Posts
What i mean is the starquest fmic is twice the size of a stock smic, and its in the front. if you have the ability to install your self. it would be well worth your time, and wouldnt cost alot compared to shelling $1,000 for a "real" one. you can search the talon archives and the numbers are all ther.

·
Registered
921 Posts
After all the MYTHS that were passed around Some times the Digest is the WRONG place to look. Granted it is very good and I use it alot but don't take it as law

After all the talk RRE did a test.

Unlike stated before the FMIC is NOT larger. is it no more then a unfolded I/C and MAYBE a bit more size. With the added pipeing VERY high pressure loss B/C of bad core design and not to efficive cooling it just doesn't pay. The gains are not that large to warrent all the work. the Necks on the I/C have to be opened to 2.25" and this costs money

To be honest a modded side mount would make the same if not more power if modded corectly. Get the fog light out. Push the horn up, Trim the rad support where it blocks the I/C better air ducting to the IC not alowing air to pass the IC ( the BIGGEST goof I see people do it remove the plastic to the I/C you need BETTER fit not none at all. The air just passes the IC then not through it ) and lastly have the pipes's ( necks ) of the stock unit opened to 2.25" this neans cut and weld new pipes in. it has to be done by Tig. All in all a VERY good mond that is VERY easy to do and more effictive then the above FMIC

Bill Marino
NYC DSM

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bill, what did you say the biggest goof you see with stock i/c setup? I'm not following, I'm still only on my 2nd coffee.

Thanks,
- Nick NYC DSM

·
Registered
61 Posts
I believe what Bill was talking about was the plastic that is in front of the C. On the botom and the top of the bumper. I know on a 1g the bumper is painted then the inside there is this black plastic panel. Bill said he has seen people take this out. Then they think they are making the IC better. But what the air does is not flow through the IC but under it and it defeats the whole purpose of the IC.

---------------------------
-------- I ^The bumper
I <- IC I
I I
-------- I
XXXXXXXXX I
----------------------------
^The bumper

The X's are the black plastic panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts