DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this time its not my car..

my friend has a 1990 eagle talon tsi ::bone stock::. it started making a funny noise so she decided to let another friend of ours drive it and see what the noise could be (honda owner). she noticed it in second gear at WOT. so he went for a drive and she didn't go with them (first big mistake because we don'tknow what happened for real ). about a half hour later we get a call frm a random number and its him. he says the car is stuck and won't start and he hadn't his phone on him so he flagged someone down and borred their phone to call us and let us know what happened. so we get there and he tells us a story. he said he was in second gear at WOT. he told us when he hit 5000 rpm the car made a noise and shook really hard (described as hitting some sort of fuel cut) and it died. so he tried starting the car while it was rolling and no go. then he tried bump starting it. then turned off the highway and coasted to a side street where he tried starting it when stopped. nothing. you just hear the starter spinning and it doesn't crank the car or anything. the starter doesn't engage the flywheel.

alright before i go on let me verify that the timeing belt is on and tight and nothings wrong with it.

he (the honda owner that messed up my friends car) said umm idk what it is.. check the fuel pump your not getting preasure.. blahblah blah. oh the starter is froze .. just tapp it with something it will fix itsself.

this is the stupidest thing ive ever herd. we argued for a bit in the cold about what was wrong and then were like what ever we gotta get it somewhere. my house was the closeest so we got in my friends rx-7and took a tow strap and proceeded to hook it up to the dead talon. the little rotor that could pulled that thing about a mile to my house !

today we went to work on it. (me and the guy with the rx-7) we didn't dick around tapping the starter and what not. we checked the fuel pump for the hell of it by pulling the feed line and turning the key to the crank position. it pumps. so thats ruled out.

then we picked up a new starter at advanced. we tookout the old starter and put the new one in. my thoughts were that the solenoid was bad because thats what controlls engagement on the starter. the solenoid was 71 dollars and the starter w/ solenoid was 90. we bought a brand new starter for that kind of money and put it in. took about an hour to pull the old one and install the new one. finally we get it all back together and nothing. same deal. the starter spinns and clicks (so the bendex spring works and the gear comes out but no engagement with the flywheel.) i think the old starter is fine but we are thinking now that it might be the flywheel. is it possible that honda boy fucked up the FW and took off some teeth when starting the car from a roll? this is the only thing that makes sense now. were in the process of getting a FW resurrfaced and ordering a clutch tonight so we can flat bed this talon to my dads, get it on the lift and see whats what. we firgure it's the FW and are gonna replace it with a new clutch hopefully by next weekend.

please give input and thought on the matter. thanks you guys are always a big help.

P.S. don't let ricers drive your dis-mm. its not a effin honda!

'hmm i guess if a rx-7 clutch can stand 7000rpm launch's is can tow a 3200 pound car' :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
never mind.. timeing belt was missing a slew of teeth and the head needs to be rebuilt. so the starters were both good. and the acessory belt spun when cranking but not the timeing belt. we took rachet and spun the exhaust cam and saw the belt was torn apart. ehres some pcis. well remove the rest of the ehad tomorrow. i guess this is a thread for a genral tech of a 4g63 forum :mad:

thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yup, we pulled it apart and found 13 of 16 rockers laying on the bottom of the head. im going to pull the head off today and will post pics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts