DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some places/ideas to look on this situation. I go to turn the key to start it and it just clicks so i turn it a few more times and same thing, then about the 5th time the starter turns the motor over and starts. Most of the time this is how it will start when it acts up, For the most part though the car will normally start like normal. Then there are times where no matter how many times you turn the key it will not start at all,all you hear is click,click .

Now for the things I've done to try and correct the problem.

1) Turbo timer harness took out the plug n play harness and squeezed down the terminals,(that didn't work so i hard wired it in, soldered all connections).but still didn't fix it.
2) Starter is new (discount brand) i know
3) new starter Power/Ground harness (dealer)
4) Cleaned all connections
5) Changed out starter relay under dash in junction block.
6) Took out the anti theft relay
7) New ignition switch harness (dealer)
8 ) Both coolant sensors are new
I think that's all.

I guess i should mention that when it acts up and will not start,to start it in this condition all i have to do is get a jumper wire and put one end on the starter terminal and the other end to positive on battery and it starts right up.

At this point im just about out of options and ideas .

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did a new solenoid come with the starter? if not buy a new one.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had an issue like this with my turbo Probe. First thing you want to check and replace are your positive and ground cables, specifically the ground. Make sure the ground is nice and clean, on clean metal getting good contact. If that doesn't do the trick, its most likely your switch itself in the steering column. On my Probe would just click and click like about six times and when it would hit, it would be a slow weak start.

The bad thing about what seems to just be an annoyance, is eventually you will burn up the harnesses which power and trigger the harness. This will consequentially lead to burned up starters. I can't tell you how may starters I killed trying to diagnose that issue when I had my Probe. See the problem is not with the starter itself, it is the circuit which activates your starter that has a problem somewhere. The starting circuit is not too complex, so it shouldn't be too hard to locate your problem. You have your ignition itself, starter relay (not too sure where they are on 1g's), clutch pedal switch, any applicable fuses, your battery of course, and finally the starter itself. But you definitely need to check your main grounds. Anyone else feel free to chime in, let us know man.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yep, bad contacts in the starter solenoid.

If you know how to do starter rebuilds yourself, it's quite an easy thing to replace new contacts in the solenoid....and tons cheaper than getting a rebuild from a motor shop.

After so long, that plunger ring beats the contacts up pretty bad where it won't make a complete circuit from the battery to the main motor windings when the key is turned on and you have this start, click, click...click, then start.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
96spydergst said:
Did a new solenoid come with the starter? if not buy a new one.
I bought a new one from the auto store so i think they replace em

manrightchea said:
I had an issue like this with my turbo Probe. First thing you want to check and replace are your positive and ground cables, specifically the ground. Make sure the ground is nice and clean, on clean metal getting good contact. If that doesn't do the trick, its most likely your switch itself in the steering column. On my Probe would just click and click like about six times and when it would hit, it would be a slow weak start.

The bad thing about what seems to just be an annoyance, is eventually you will burn up the harnesses which power and trigger the harness. This will consequentially lead to burned up starters. I can't tell you how may starters I killed trying to diagnose that issue when I had my Probe. See the problem is not with the starter itself, it is the circuit which activates your starter that has a problem somewhere. The starting circuit is not too complex, so it shouldn't be too hard to locate your problem. You have your ignition itself, starter relay (not too sure where they are on 1g's), clutch pedal switch, any applicable fuses, your battery of course, and finally the starter itself. But you definitely need to check your main grounds. Anyone else feel free to chime in, let us know man.
All wires are brand new and clean I have the battery relocated, the main power and ground wires has 0g on them.The battery ground is grounded to the floor pan with a good size bolt and is tight,the rest of the wires are 4g and going to a distribution block.When it does turn over it does so at normal speed not slow.
I already replaced the ignition switch in the column with the 6 wires coming off of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
op712 said:
Yep, bad contacts in the starter solenoid.

If you know how to do starter rebuilds yourself, it's quite an easy thing to replace new contacts in the solenoid....and tons cheaper than getting a rebuild from a motor shop.

After so long, that plunger ring beats the contacts up pretty bad where it won't make a complete circuit from the battery to the main motor windings when the key is turned on and you have this start, click, click...click, then start.
Yeah beginning to think its just the starter as everything else is new.
The strange thing is i can put the same starter in my other car and it will turn over everytime.Forgot to mention that in the original post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts