DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's the update I promised ....

I've owned this car for 6 months and I still cannot get it to shift. I've had the TCU checked, ECU checked, and I have replaced the solenoid shift pack after learning that one was supposedly shorted. Still, no change. Still stuck in limp mode. I noticed when I dropped the trans pan and valve body there seemed to be a lot of metal in the fluid. Had that silvery look I hate. I'm thinking there are internal problems with this trans at this point. Thoughts?

From my view, here are my options:
1 - find another auto tranny. Don't like this option much, functioning ones are like finding a needle in a haystack.
2 - Swap it to a manual. Involves parts and money, but I have the know-how.
3 - Sell it and find another 1G.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You STILL can't rule out the TCU...You have nothing to lose by sending it to me to check out. Since your trans is in limp mode anyway, its not using the TCU at all..It will drive exactly the same without it..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Believe me ... I'm not driving this car. It's been sitting for over year and 1/2 now. I'm trying to resurrect it though and get it on the road.

I guess you're right .. it doesn't hurt to send it to you. How much did you want?

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
You could also have the valve body looked at, if its not shifting properly it could be the solenoids. One of the best mods I did on my car was the shift kit from IPT when I was still a automatic.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You STILL can't rule out the TCU...You have nothing to lose by sending it to me to check out. Since your trans is in limp mode anyway, its not using the TCU at all..It will drive exactly the same without it..

The truth, I was talking with a buddy of yours(HighPSI) about how TCU's can go bad, but when you look over the board, nothing appears to be wrong(no burn marks, no scorch marks, no leaky caps, no fishy smell). So definitely send it out, just to be absolutely sure..and then you can start going about other things. Go from smallest, to biggest.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I had a similar problem when I swapped to the auto. Stuck in 2nd gear, nothing I could do would change that. Changed valvebodies, and the car shifts perfectly. Just a thought.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting that you say that .... b/c I'm starting to get the feeling the car is stuck in 2nd, not 3rd. I thought 3rd was indiciative of limp mode? When I drive it, it just doesn't behave like 3rd. Seems more like 2nd.

When you changed valve bodies did you reuse the solenoids on the new valve body, or get brand new ones?

I really thought replacing the solenoid shift pack would fix the car, but it didn't.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got your TCU today..I installed my jumper harness and went for a very short drive..My car was in limp mode..I took it out and took the cover off..You can see where the capacitor is leaking..It shows up alot better with the digital pic...I took it to my DSM computer friend and he is gonna see what he can do with it.It looks promising...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I believe the factory manual says limp mode could be either 2nd -or- 3rd gear.

Have you checked the '4a/t' fuse in the main fuse box?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Got bad news, replaced the cap, cleaned up the board and its still in limp mode..Your gonna have to get this one gone through or buy another one..
Its a MD750092....I will still try to find you one here..I'm out money now:(

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got bad news, replaced the cap, cleaned up the board and its still in limp mode..Your gonna have to get this one gone through or buy another one..
Its a MD750092....I will still try to find you one here..I'm out money now:(
Well that's a total bummer to hear. Thanks for looking into it. PM sent.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a MD756601 laying around. Hit me up if it will work for you.
The only TCUs that will work for Techboy are
MD750092- 90-92 AWD
MD750093 91-92 FWD, w/turbo
MD750525 91-92 FWD, 2.0L, w/o turbo
These are all 3 plug TCUs....

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Someone over in the classifieds has a EPROM TCU they are offering to sell me. What's the deal with that? Did a search and only got 1 hit. What year cars did Mitsu make these available?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Someone over in the classifieds has a EPROM TCU they are offering to sell me. What's the deal with that? Did a search and only got 1 hit. What year cars did Mitsu make these available?
All the TCUs I listed can be found as an e-prom..The one you sent me is an E-prom..You have to get it socketed and you can re-program them..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All the TCUs I listed can be found as an e-prom..The one you sent me is an E-prom..You have to get it socketed and you can re-program them..
Ok, so it just has to be a matching number.

(BTW, GDNF2ET, do you get my PM? I'd like to get that board back from you. Let me know what I owe you.)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts