DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the problem. I have a 2g talon with basic mods , act2600,3 inch exhaust, cat eliminated, 1g bov, dejon upper hard pipe, free mods, a turbo xs manual boost controller. side mount is currently hooked up although i have a vertical flow front mount that is already mounted. im waiting on some piping to get welded. anways ...will stock injectors hit fuel cut at 16-18 psi off of the stock t25. its been happening for a couple months now and just last week i put a walboro 255 in it hoping it would be the cure but i still hit fuel cut.. i have an evo 3 16g ready to go in but i dont want to risk pushing more cfms with the bigger turbo if my current setup is insuficient. also im about to buy the aeromotive fpr, ive been told to set it at around 41 psi. could the fpr fix my cut problem?:dunno:

·
Registered
718 Posts
You can hit fuel cut with even the smallest turbo if you have a boost leak. Do a test, fix your leaks, and i'm 99.9% sure that it'll be fixed.

If you're too lazy, go through and tighten down all of your IC pipes a bit and check over them for any obvious tears. Also, check your bov to make sure its not leaking.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
I'm almost positive it is a boost leak.

Not only that, but 18psi is too much for the turbo. You're going to give it a very short life if you don't back it down to about 14-15.

Do a BLT (no, not bacon, lettuce, tomato), and get your FPR on for your 255. It's not the injectors which hit fuel cut. Your ECU sees that you are flowing more air than your stock injectors can handle and WAM!...fuel cut.

I did a boost leak test with Jason (The_EE) and found 7. Go see what you can find.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks for the suggestions ill test it tomorrow and see where that puts me. now that i think about it i probably do have a pretty good leak as you see ill boost to, at the most 18psi, but it almost imediatly backs off to around 14-15. i always thought it was just the turbo being over worked or something. and that it couldnt sustain that amount of pressure. after all i have always been told that the t25 is usualy only good for around 16psi without clipping it.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
flyineagletsi said:
hey thanks for the suggestions ill test it tomorrow and see where that puts me. now that i think about it i probably do have a pretty good leak as you see ill boost to, at the most 18psi, but it almost imediatly backs off to around 14-15. i always thought it was just the turbo being over worked or something. and that it couldnt sustain that amount of pressure. after all i have always been told that the t25 is usualy only good for around 16psi without clipping it.
It's not even worth clipping. You can get a brand new Evo 3 turbo from Forced Performance for $550. Don't boost the T-25 at 18psi. Keep your foot out of it if you can't seem to control the boost just yet.

FYI, remember to follow rule #7 in regards to grammar and proper punctuation. The mods are heavy hitters on this one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i already have the evo3 16g at the house im just tryin to figure out whats wrong before i go an put any other mods on

·
Registered
601 Posts
Boost leak test almost positive. Bc once you put the fuel pump it should have eliminated the fuel cut even on a cold night. Also your t25 is not efficient at all at 18 psi your just blowing hot air. The t25 is a joke. Just put on the evo316g and make sure you have no boost leaks. Also whenever you turn up your boost or add fuel mods or anything you should definitley invest in a logger to keep an eye out for what the hell is going on in your engine.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,386 Posts
fanaticdsm-er said:
Boost leak test almost positive. Bc once you put the fuel pump it should have eliminated the fuel cut even on a cold night. Also your t25 is not efficient at all at 18 psi your just blowing hot air. The t25 is a joke. Just put on the evo316g and make sure you have no boost leaks. Also whenever you turn up your boost or add fuel mods or anything you should definitley invest in a logger to keep an eye out for what the hell is going on in your engine.
Fuel cut has nothing to do will your fuel mods. It happens when you reach a cap in airflow. If you're hitting fuel cut with a t-25 you have boost leaks....it's not possible for that little guy to come anywhere near flowing enough to reach the airflow cap. Do a really good boost leak test with soapy water on every connection.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your sure your hitting fuel cut? Do you have a wideband to see what your a/f trims are doing when this happens? Try changing your fuel filter. A clogged filter can produce fuel cut like symptoms.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK so heres where im at so far. i made a boost tester out of an hairspray can and a bike tire valve stem. lol sweet riggin but anyways i couldnt get it to pressurize past 2-3 psi according to the boost guage. i pluged the valvecover breather hose and pcv valve and hose. aslo i took my boost controller off and pluged my vacuum lines. I used a piece of vacuum line that wasnt being used to listen for leaks. nothing. used soapy water to see bubbles. nothing. now i could hear the air leaking around the coolant cap by the valve cover so i thought i had a gasket leak. well it blew some nasty blue smoke driving it home so i checked and it had oil on the EM so i changed gaskets. like a dumbass i over torqued the bolts and cracked the valve cover. now im in the process of sanding and polishing a 1g VC. any ideas?... dont think tb gasket is bad but then again I never got pressure to check it. sry for the long post

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,386 Posts
2-3psi is not doing a boost leak test. Unless you do it right it's not going to tell you anything, find a friend with an air compressor or go to a gas station.

·
Registered
1 Posts
man people on the dsm are like freakin robots half the people here only go by what they hear not actually what they know. Yes you do have a boost leak cause ive ran 22 psi on my t-25 and never hit fuel cut. And dont listen to all theese tards on the t-25 saying dont take it over 14-15. The turbo runs 14 from the factory. Out of my personal information 18 psi seems to run best for me. Im telling you real information not going by what i hear like over half these tards on here that never even owned a t-25. Trust me 18 psi is good and all this bullchit of 250 hp out of a t-25 is a freakin joke. I ran a 13.67 with my t-25 if you belive you can run that with 250 hp theres something wrong here condersing my car weighs almost 3300 pounds. Do the math.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
onefast99gsx said:
man people on the dsm are like freakin robots half the people here only go by what they hear not actually what they know. Yes you do have a boost leak cause ive ran 22 psi on my t-25 and never hit fuel cut. And dont listen to all theese tards on the t-25 saying dont take it over 14-15. The turbo runs 14 from the factory. Out of my personal information 18 psi seems to run best for me. Im telling you real information not going by what i hear like over half these tards on here that never even owned a t-25. Trust me 18 psi is good and all this bullchit of 250 hp out of a t-25 is a freakin joke. I ran a 13.67 with my t-25 if you belive you can run that with 250 hp theres something wrong here condersing my car weighs almost 3300 pounds. Do the math.
I'm sorry your mother hates you.

I mean, all I have to say is FAIL.

·
Registered
461 Posts
onefast99gsx said:
Damn you deserve a cookie, then you deserve to get the cookie slapped out of your hand. I guess you're too hardcore to read the rules and respect the other members of this site. And another thing, have you ever put your car on a dyno? I doubt you have, I've seen DSM's with 250-260hp running mid 13's, and full weight. Another thing, EVERY CAR IS DIFFERENT! Your car might run perfectly fine with a t-25 and 18psi, his car might run like shit. No one said "It's impossible to run that much boost with a t-25", it just isn't the best idea. If you look at a flow map, once you get around 18-19psi you are out of the turbo's efficiency range, which is why people upgrade to a bigger turbo instead of trying to push the limit and seeing how long the turbo will last.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
onefast99gsx said:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts