DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my talon has about 130,000 miles on it and i just spent about 5 to 6 hundred dollars and about 5 hours on trying to get it to stop smoking. The biggest purchase i made was a 14b for about 2 hundred with a supposed 60k on it. I replaced the turbo because the car had sat for a year from the previous owner, and started to smoke noticibly between shifts about a week or so later. So I figured, no big deal the turbo seals probably went, right? so i take off the entire intake system and clean all the oil out of it. There was about a pint or more of oil in the intercooler. I put in these brand new parts:
-new plugs gapped to .028 bpr6es
-new fuel filter
-new gaskets all around the turbo
-new 02 sensor
-kinda new turbo
-coolant has been flushed
-clutch and breaks bled
-new oil
-adjusted shifter cable linkage
-new headliner
-straight pipe(no cat)
the car has on it:
-2.5 burshur turbo back
-boost gauge
-auto timer
-catch can for both valve cover breathers
-no powersteering
-no a/c
-straight pipe(no cat)

i hook everything up, add some more coolant and put in some oil.
i fire it up... everything is going great, no smoke. Then i rev it up, i take it to about 4.5k and i hold it there for about 15 seconds. all of the sudden i have the same exact problem as before. smoke everywhere, this is not modest cloud it makes. i took it for a very short spin around the block and boosted to 15psi once. It now likes to die too, (probably just becasue of the new plugs). I still dont really think it smells like coolant but what else could it be? it has to be coolant now, right? Which means blown hg right? it doenst really look blue to me, but i dont know where the oil is coming from then because there is not yet a layer of oil in my intake tubes. So valve seals right? im so confused and i dont have the money for this. Unless i can figure out whats wrong with it, its goin up for sale. anybody interesed in the chigaoland area?

thanks for taking the time to look at this.
chris

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the new compression test results are....
60-145-145-145
after adding cap of oil
80-145-145-145

cylinder #1 is out of it. dose this look more like hg, or rings to you?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks blackboost.

one more question. i went to vfaq to find out just how involved taking of the head is. I couldnt find a vfaq on it. The main part im worried about is having to adjust the timing. I dont really want to do that if i dont have to. also, what can i expect to pay for a new hg, not the metal one i dont want to get my head shaved right now.

thanks
chris

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
cianide said:
Thanks blackboost.

one more question. i went to vfaq to find out just how involved taking of the head is. I couldnt find a vfaq on it. The main part im worried about is having to adjust the timing. I dont really want to do that if i dont have to. also, what can i expect to pay for a new hg, not the metal one i dont want to get my head shaved right now.

thanks
chris
take a look at: http://www.partznet.com and ask for the Club DSM discount.;)
When I did mine, I payed $40 bucks for an OEM one at the dealer. But I believe I got it on Discount Day or something...:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts