DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 99 GST stock chrome 5 spoke rims. Are these any good? I think they look sweet for stock. Was thinking about keeping them and lowering my car 1" or else ditching the rims for some 18" rims and lowering it maybe a 1 1/2 inches.

Right now I got new tires on the rims. Same ones from the factory. Do these tires suck? I seem to loose traction more then I should on dry and wet payment...

·
Registered
117 Posts
stockers = fun

good choice for your intake bro, i love my apex-i. sure its expensive but it cuts out so many more contaminants and requires less cleaning etc.

the stockers are pretty cool. im ordering the tanabe springs from RRE on there "new products" page on monday or tuesday, a nice 1.3 inch drop. what to do with the stock rims is go out and buy some mothers and rub them down with a really folded up shammy, for the lil cracks find some big Q-tips, the wood ones that are pretty long and get it in there...i do this every time i wash the car and they shimmer like there made of chrome. great rims if u ask me. there design makes them look like 15s though but whatever, until i have the money for some new ones im really happy (possibly stock gsx rims? :) if anyone wants to sell lemme know )

·
Registered
11 Posts
The stock chrome are cool to keep onto. Unless you have some extra bills laying around. I didn't have the chrome, so I got some 17" white Tenzo R. I switched to some Bridgestone Potenza tires, but didn't like them (wore out fast). Now I'm with Toyo, they kick ass.

·
Registered
760 Posts
they're ok. They weigh somewhere around 35 lbs per wheel though :eek: I'd change them out and get some better performing tires later on.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,496 Posts
-Boost_krazy- said:
they're ok. They weigh somewhere around 35 lbs per wheel though :eek: I'd change them out and get some better performing tires later on.
When i weighed out mine, they were 18 lbs. These are not the chrome ones. They are not 35 lbs.

·
Registered
760 Posts
talontsiawd said:

When i weighed out mine, they were 18 lbs. These are not the chrome ones. They are not 35 lbs.
Really? i've heard 35 quite a bit but who knows. That kind of bums me out though because i was looking forward to a a handling difference with my rotas that i'm getting later.:tree:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does anyone know the weight of the 17" GSX rims. I heard they were 25lbs, That sucks, and the 16s only weigh 18lbs?

·
Registered
619 Posts
The stock 17" rims on GSX's are ~22 lbs, which is WAY too heavy for a rim that is WAY too soft. You look at 2G 17" rims funny and they bend like silver spoons.

They're also in the worst possible size ever concieved: 17 x 6.5" Not 7" wide, not 7.5" wide, but six and a half inches, which gives you maybe 8 total tire choices.

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING MITSUBISHI? I'M BEGGING YOU!

·
Registered
84 Posts
17X6.5 and 22lbs, That sucks! Damn, but that means the Gunmetal Motegi MR-7s I wanted for my GSX is too heavy(dont want to slow down)

So whats the width on 16 inch rims?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am not sure what the stock tires were on the car, mine had F1's when I got it.

My stock 16" on 95 gsx with tires came out to 40lb even, this was measured with a digital bathroom scale that measures to .00 lb.

I replaced the stock rims after bending one on a pot hole a few months back with a set of Kosi K1 Racer rims in 17X8 with Dunlop SP Pro 215x55zr17's. I also weighed these rim/tire and it came out to 31 lb + change.

Acceleration gained a noticeable improvement with the new tires/rims and my handleing improved enough to drop a few seconds off my avg lap times in autox races.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts