DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,i have a 95 GST with about 60k miles...
i have begun to notice sounds coming from around the belt side of the engine...it almost sounds like something being stuck in the spokes of a bicycle wheel,is RPM related,it is a 5sp,does it with the clutch in or out,usually most noticable from 2000-3500rpms...after 3500rpms it seems to phase out,maybe just being droned out by other engine noise.
at idle it is not noticable,and it doesn't seem to do it all the time,some days it isn't noticiable,other days it's sounds very loud,sometimes seems to go away after it warms up
i'm pretty sure it's not lifter noise,actually sounds like it is coming from within the timing belt cover,kinda like the belt is slapping the plastic very rapidly..

i'm hoping it's not crankwalk,clutch has no affect on it,can be cruising or just sitting out of gear,and still hear it
i have checked the tension on the timing belt,seems fine....could a bad tensioner make noise,like it was coming apart or something?

any replies is appreciated

Thanks ,Brian

·
Registered
871 Posts
maybe an exhaust leak??? i dunno but i'd start praying if you know what i mean. i get goosebumps when i hear the cw word.

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
81 Posts
Remove the upper timing belt cover and watch the belt when the car is running. If the belt flops up and down between the cam shaft sprockets then the tensioner is on it's way out. Give the throttle cable a tug and if it smooths out at 4K then that's likely the problem. My car made a GRRRRR sound and had those symptoms. The hydrolic tensioner was toast.

------------------
Chris Holmes
'91 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/5051
Turbo + Intercooler = The Replacement For Displacement

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey, I'm bringing back this old one.

If you still remember, ZBEEST.
Did it sound like "engine knocking" when that happened?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts