DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i've been wanting a stroker motor for my project car lately and i'm getting close to the point to where i need to get the engine. now i know the stroker motor has good low end torque and spools larger turbos faster. but what are the downsides of a stroker? i haven't really heard any and need to finish up my research on this before i make my decision (wanting unbiased opinions).

now what about top end performance? anything else i should know about the stroker? isn't there some stress on the rods because of the stroke? anyone know a price on one of these? i'm speaking of a 2.3 liter stroker. not the 2.4 liter. with a stroker, would i be able to take use of the high end power from my big turbo since i can't rev as high? i like top end performance as well....i have long country hick roads i access from time to time with nothing around.

other option i'm thinking of is the stage 3 block and stage 3 head from buschur. i did a search on it but didn't come up with much on it. but i just kinda figure that since buschur DOES have the fastest times, that surely he's gotta have some good engines. plus i'm guessing that maybe they may cost less while still having great performance so in the end i could use any saved money in other places. anyone know if the head has 1mm oversized valves? hmmm......wondering what all they put on this thing.

if it helps, here's some of the mods i'm gonna go with.
agp L3R turbo
magnus intake manifold
"possibly" a dnperformance exhaust manifold
fidanza flywheel
act2600
tre built tranny
272 cam's
255lph fuel pump
720cc injectors
dsmlink
atr exhaust (turbo back)
tial external gate
full pully set
apexi skyline i/c
sard bov
etc. etc. etc. and possibly nitrous JUST for track use.
good enough on my list of mods for ya'll? now the engine is really the last thing i need to know about. anyway, any input appreciated. it's been a long debate for me on the engine. thanks!
scott

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with a stroker kit at all. However I read that you lose much of your top end, since it doesn't rev as high. For example for highway cruising speeds, you may be around 4,000 RPMs I believe.

What are your goals? Because if you are trying to save some money you can always go for the 6-bolt with 95 pistons. That's good for about 500 HP. You can build one of those for fairly cheap. There are people running 11s with that engine setup.

I believe Crower makes a 2.3L setup. You can also check out FFWD They also sell stroker kits. I don't know the price off hand, but you can always e-mail them.

If you looking for a Stroker engine, you are looking to spend $4,000+ for just the shortblock.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k well i wanna save money if possible, sure. but not being a cheapa$$ on this project by any means. but if top end speed is gonna be lost i DEFINATELY don't want the stroker motor because i do drive to my parents house about every other weekend for about 30 miles one way....at about 70 to 80 mph "cruising" anyway. well when i had my 95 gsx anyway that was still running. but if i had a 25% taller 5th gear, wouldn't that drop my rpm's?

but my plans ARE for a street driven bad a$$ car. hopefully 10's.....at least. low 11's at a minimum. but anyway, no 95 pistons here. but anyway, anymore views?
scott

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have any input on your engine options, I just wanted to ask a question. With all of the money you're spending on everything else why are you going with DSMlink? Not that I think it's a bad product or any thing, I'll probablly go with it myself in the future. It seems to me that you would be much better served with a stand alone like the AEM or maybe technomotive. The L3R can definatly push enough air to over run the 2g maf and I think a spend density system may be more pratical.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Magnus motorsports sells 2.4 4g64 motors already built for $4000 with the best of everything. They found 130 more ft.lbs. of torque & 40 more hp with this motor & claim to still rev it to 8500 rpm's. Like Mopar said back in the 60's & 70's," there's no substitute for cubic inches. "

·
Registered
122 Posts
deafcon said:
I don't have any input on your engine options, I just wanted to ask a question. With all of the money you're spending on everything else why are you going with DSMlink? Not that I think it's a bad product or any thing, I'll probablly go with it myself in the future. It seems to me that you would be much better served with a stand alone like the AEM or maybe technomotive. The L3R can definatly push enough air to over run the 2g maf and I think a spend density system may be more pratical.
Exactly, With those mods you have listed you wuill be very restricted in power. Get the AEM and do it the right way, you will not regret it.
I don't :)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well, there ARE guys running 10's with a dsmlink. i like the fact that it would probably be easier to tune, and the price doesn't hurt much either. and i guess if nothing else, i could take out the honeycombs for a little less restriction. but nothing is really final yet on the dsmlink, but i'm weighing heavily on it though. i went to the aem website but they didn't have all the individual features that i'm believing it has (feel like i've seen more somewhere). it would be really nice if there was a comparison between the 2.

but one thing to consider about my car.....i'm setting it up more for drag. not road racing so i'm guessing i won't need all those extra features that the aem has. if i were to even get the aem, the ONLY reason that i can really think of to get it over the dsmlink is to get rid of the mas and that's it. unless someone can tell me why i should consider thinkin about getting an aem.
scott

edit: oh and about the motor thing, i'm gonna go with the ffwd stroker motor. called up darren and spoke about everything. it isn't really gonna cost anywhere near what i thought it might. apparently i won't lose any top end like i've heard some people on hear say. i had to ask stuff for myself from someone who knows. just hearing too much conflicting info from people on here. but the stroker is what i'm going with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First off, do yourself a favor and call BJ's Cylinder Head Service ASAP. BJ knows a ton about strokers and will give you a great price. If you look around on this forum you'll see that he does some of the best work. You might want to try searching for info on www.DSMtuners.com. A guy just got his motor back from BJ and had some nice pics.

http://www.bjscylinderhead.com/

Second, You should probably stick with the DSMlink for now until you get some experience under you belt. You'd be in one hell of a mess jumping into an AEM PEMS. The AEM will cost a lot more (Speed density, WB O2) and I would suggest having it tuned by an AEM certified tuner. Also, THERE IS NO COMPARISON INBETWEEN THE TWO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts