DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, i feel like an idiot asking this, but... when i got the car it had a full 2.5" exhaust and ported turbo and throttlebody, hacked aircan etc. It runs at 15 psi. now for my question, why does it run at 15psi, is it becasue the airflow is less restricted? or is there somthing else done to it to get it to run 15psi? once again i feel like an idiot, but thanks for not flaming me.... i hope

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is possible that you have just the right ballance of mods to give you boost creep up to 15psi. Either that or it has a boost controler set at 15psi and you just don't know it.

Keith

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if there is a boost controller i sure cant find it, im in the middle of replacing my turbo right now, and i can't see boost controller in the vaccum lines as far as i can tell. it spools well and doesnt really "creep" to 15 psi. i dont know maybe he hid the boost controller.... gah, i hate used cars.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Fourdoordsm said:
It is possible that you have just the right ballance of mods to give you boost creep up to 15psi. Either that or it has a boost controler set at 15psi and you just don't know it.

Keith
It has nothing to do with creep. It has everything to do with the exhaust letting things breath. When I put my exhaust on before I put my mbc on, 15-16 was the norm.

·
Registered
97 Posts
RippinGSX said:

It has nothing to do with creep. It has everything to do with the exhaust letting things breath. When I put my exhaust on before I put my mbc on, 15-16 was the norm.
So, WG spring pressure is about 9 psi on 1G cars with a BCS that raises boost to about 11 psi. If WG spring combined with BCS is supposed to give you 11 psi what do you call boost going to 15 psi instead? The majority of the world calls it creep. With a setup that does this on no boost controler you are fine, but when you add a controler is when the creep tends to get bad.

Keith

·
Registered
97 Posts
RippinGSX said:
:rolleyes: If it was creep, it would keep going, thus defining the word CREEP. Do you know what boost creep is?
Yup, creep is when boost goes higher than what your WG spring and BCS (or aftermarket boost controler) are set at. Uncontroled creep is where it goes higher and higher and keeps going up ....

Remember the controversy in SCCA about them not letting people with ported turbo's and ported O2 housing run in a certain class? The people running in that class wanted to port to reduce the amount of creep they were getting (most were hitting 18 psi or so and getting concerned about engine lifespan on pump gas) but they were not alowed to. Most of them were running 2.5" downpipes or even stock downpipes to limit the creep to a manageble level....if they had steped up to a 3" they would have gotten the uncontroled creep you are talking about.

Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts