DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
I'd just like to update everyone. To date I still have the stutter and it's actually worse lately. It was gone for months after the rebuild, but since the turbo swap it's been constant and horrible under boost. Things I've replace are the entire ignition system (plugs wires coil pack etc), injectors, fresh built block and head (complete for both) turbo, new TPS and rebuilt throttle body (shafts seemed to be the only boost leak I had and they we're essentially gone), and some more stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. The only thing I haven't done since rebuilding the TB ( done last weekend) was another boost leak test. The stutters seems WORSE since I rebuilt the TB so maybe an FMIC pipe is loose or something. I don't have time for anything these past few weeks. I'm going to do another test tonight in the cold and dark. If it still poses problems after I get rid of all if any leaks then I'll sell the car sooner than I planned. It's time for an Evo and an SUV so we're selling our cars and upgrading but we planned to do it in March. I might just wait until after the holidays to do it though. I've lost all interest in my car since the rebuild/buildup because of the constant little problems. There's been a nicely modded blue 2003 evo for a month that's calling my name and is well within my budget now. I'm having a hard time giving up on a car I've put so much time and money into but it's not fun to constantly fix shit and never get to drive it the way I'd like to.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
Holy shit did I have a boost leak. I installed a set of 780's a few weeks ago and 2 were cockeyed a hair. There's what looks like almost a 1/16" gap between the injector and seal on 2 of them. I had to retrofit some seals in a pinch when I installed them (no idea what car the seals were originally off of) and I guess they shifted somehow. My TB must have been leaking so badly that I didn't hear the leak at the injectors. I'll fix it and update this week sometime if I get a chance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Colonelfox, please update after you get a chance to check your stuttering issues after the boost leak fix. I'm a little bit worried myself about trying to fix my problem by buying parts and having no improvement in performance or positive resolution of issue sometimes plaguing me.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
It might be a while. It started overheating last night on my way home from work. I'm still not sure what happened but it was missing almost 3/4 gallon of coolant when I checked it today and none of it was under the car. Fixing that and making sure I didn't blow the headgasket or warp the head takes priority over the stutter for now.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
Wow what a difference. I seriously had no idea the car was this fast until now because I did all the turbo and fuel system mods at the same time and it's been running like hell ever since. my #2 and #3 injector seals had a chunk taken out of them. I guess when I installed my injectors (they have a sharp lip around the nozzle) they cut a chip out of both seals. I replaced them along with a few other vacuum lines and took it for a quick spin after warming it up. I floored it in 3rd and there was a stutter, but it felt different than before. More like a bad wire or something. Tweaked the MAFT a hair and did it again in 4th gear and the tires lit up and it took off up to redline. I kinda scared the shit out of myself. Didn't expect it to pull that harshly. :eek:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well now that I have the stuttering problem at 6000 rpm. The car loses all its power so sometime this week when I have time I'll do a boost leak test, and a compression test just to see how healthy my engine is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Studder issues.... Well mine started after i raced a Turbo beetle. Come to find out, i had 0 compression in #4, long story short. valve on the intake side broke a peice off. I got a used head, had it checked. Put on. Same thing. Studder at low RPM backfire/misfire, CEL. As soon as Boost hits it goes away. I was told to check 2 things. 1) Timing and 2) Coil pack
Im going to borrow my buddies Coil pack thurs and see if thats it. If not then im going to have a compression test done and check the timing. The Fuel System was all replaced as were the wires and plugs and gap. So pretty soon after 3 months of diagnose i think its time to sell. Anyone want a VERY CLEAN , Nicly modded 1g? AWD.? Ill find out on thurs if im selling.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Weird thing happened. I tightned up all the clamps on my IC piping and intake then took the car out for a run. I boosted 17psi (was only boosting 13psi) and the car went to 6300 before the stutter. But if I let the rpms sit at 6,000 then hit the gas the car pulled fine to 7,000. Maybe I'm just really rich? It has been very cold lately, but was in the high 40s the other night, I got my car dyno tuned when it was 70 degrees outside. Think I could just be running way rich up top?

If I remember correctly, my car was hesitant up top before the dyno tune and I was richer than bill gates, gained 50awhp just by the tune. I will find out next week when I get DSM Link.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
Hmm, for some reason I forgot to mention my new wires in my last post. I've gone through 2 sets of magnacores since I bought the car. Long story short they suck and I'll never buy them again. I'm running NGK's from now on. My previous magnacores had MAYBE 6K miles on them and they were shot. I'm not sure which fix (injector seals or wires) actually made the stutter go away but it's been gone and I'm boosting heavily again. I'm installing an AEM AFPR tomorrow, alkyl injection setup if the pump gets here, and probably a new headgasket (might have a small leak ) and hopefully it'll finally run right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car: 6 bolt 95 Tsi AWD

Ok here are my cars symptons. My car rumbles really bad at lower rpms and smooths out at around 3k rpms, but during the time that it is smooth I have an idle surge the whole time. The plugs and wires (which haven't been checked yet) could definitely be the problem since it has helped many people on this thread, but here is my question.
The problem is intermittent. Sometimes it will be running great, but the rumble will start up at ANY time (be it accelerating quickly or just cruising at constant speed). I can also pull to the side of the road, turn off the car, then turn it back on, watch the idle fall to 1k then slowly work its way back to normal idle, then go again. So if it is bad plugs/wires or boost leak(s), could they cause the problem to be intermittent?

A thread in 2003 had the exact same problems as me except I guess his was all the time, but it didnt have the solution there. He said
jjdsm327 said:
YO, i bought my GSX like 2 days ago, and i cant seem to get rid of this vibration from idle up to about 3000 rpm... it have like no torque low end, but when the turbo is spooled, it goes away

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
Someone PMed me this so I'm posting it up for everyone.
Try replacing your wires, check for boost leaks obviously, and I'd recommend you wire up a rear O2 sensor. It doesn't have to be installed and it shouldn't cause a stutter, but it's better than dangling wires that could short out. I have mine sitting under the driver seat wrapped in tin foil plugged into the harness. I passed PA emissions that way (they're very strict here but didn't notice it) and no CE light comes up.

haha fucken awsome :D Im starting to have a problem stuttering now too. It pulls hard in 1st and 2nd but in 3rd when it gets to 4000-4500 or so it starts to buck violently. I previously had a cracked valve cover ( wtf my car has 60K miles ) so i replaced that and no more oil shotting all over my spark plugs wires, i thought that fixed it but no. I regapped my plugs from .036-.038 to about .030-.031 and that didnt seem to help, i replaced my pcv valve and it still does the stutter. I dont believe that i have a boost leak as i pressurized the system but another one couldnt hurt. also my rear O2 is cut out and the wires are jsut kinda dangling so i need to wire up some resistors for that guy, i dont think that would cause stuttering because isnt the rear O2 for emissions purposes to check the Cat? Sorry for the long reply, but perhaps you can help? Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a stuttering problem with mine also. I did the boost leak tests and fixed all the leaks I found. Replaced wires, plugs also. Still have problem. I redid boost leak test. I turned the tb as I hadn't before. It started hissing really bad. I guess I'll try replacing those tb seals. From my log it looks like I have knock around 3700-4200 then timing increases normally but still feels like it doesn't pull like it should.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well i have been having this problem for a while with the stuttering and now it is running really rich so rich that a full tank is gone in 60 miles. I cant go over 3000 rpm without my car jerking and back fire like i hit fuel cut or something like that. It also randomly misfires when i am driving at a steady speed. And it will just cut off on me when i put the clutch in. I have no idea what could be causing this i am guessing its multiple problems with my car and not just one thing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
colonelfox said:
Sounds like your MAS is dead or disconnected.
Hmmm....how long does the MAS last, mileage wise?

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
They don't normally wear out but it happens. I've left the MAS unplugged countless times and the car acted exactly as you described though I never drove it more than a few hundred feet before I realized what was wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We've done that before, it'll throw codes in the first minute. At least in our case thats what happened. And it didn't run worth a crap.

·
Registered
224 Posts
We just put in AEM EMS, for the most part the stutter went away. I didn't get EMS for the stutter though. We changed the coil pack, plugs, wires and its still somewhat there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My stutter was the rocker arm, it fell off. I think a lot of you who have done everything but checked the rocker arm...should go check it. This is the second time in this thread that the rocker arm was the problem.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts