DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How could I go about installing subs in a '97 Spyder? I don't really want to give up my back seat, and the trunk seems kinda useless unless the top is up. (and that is a rarity) I was kinda hoping for 2 12"'s. I heard Alpine makes speakers that emulate subwoofers. Are these any good? (if that's the best I can do, well then so be it). I realize the car isn't the best for a stereo...

------------------
Mr. Tippy
Black 1997 Eclipse GST Spyder
"V8 HAHA"

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 91 laser with Alpine/Pestige system and I love it,we have gone to several local sterio comps and did very well for our class, I run a 4x45 watt deck,100w 5 1/4 alpine door speakers,with 100w alpine 6x9s in the back,dash speakers are stock,a 400 watt 4 channel Prestige amp,that powers the doors and rears, the dash highs are not apmplified,for subs I have 2 10" alpine typeRs in a custom built ported box powered by a 400 watt 2 channel Prestige amp,Its not the best or the loudest,but it cost me less than $2000 for every thing includeing hardware and it can keep up with a $5000 system

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a 99gst spyder. I had a local audio shop build a speaker box behind the rear seat and under where the roof folds down. They had to build the box *inside* the car, and they mounted 2 JL Audio 10-w6 subs. They face the rear, and stand vertically. They replaced the rear cardboard wall with a custom wood wall and flush mounted 2 sony 4 channel amps, taking about 2 vertical inches into my trunk space. I'm pretty amazed with what they did in such a small space. Sound? Well, they hit hard when the top is up. With the top down, I wish I had 12's in there, but that was impossible. The road noise, wind, and the fact that the the subs can no longer use the cabin to generate bass almost make it sound like the subs aren't there. Would I do it again? yes. Crystal Sonics in Glendale, CA installed them. Oh, and the roof absolutely folds down flush and rests on top of the wooden sub box. There's NO room to play. Try taking off the rear cardboard wall and you'll see how much room is really in there!
-Paul

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
Look into Image Dynamic's IDQ 12 I think that it need less then a cubic foot of air space. These subs rock too. They have some of the best Sound Quality I have heard and you can get them for cheap too. I can get them for >150 a piece shipped off the internet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
well here is the thing i love MUSIC and systems and i just bought a 98 spyder gst and i was wondering if i should be worried about putting a killer system in it im just afrad i will damage the top ? any one here about any problems with that ?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You gotta go fiberglass in the trunk, Just buy a real nice 10 and power it the right way and you will be just as happy as having 2 circuit city 12's. I made a box for my g/f and with the right volume, it only fills up that hole on the right side! I can post pics later..

·
Premium Member
12,621 Posts
kwg2371 said:
well here is the thing i love MUSIC and systems and i just bought a 98 spyder gst and i was wondering if i should be worried about putting a killer system in it im just afrad i will damage the top ? any one here about any problems with that ?
Well here is the thing, read the rules and don't post again until you do unless you would like a vacation from the site already. Proper sentence structure, proper spelling and capital letters where required are all mandatory here. :mad:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Dude, search is your friend. There's been like 3 posts in the last month on Spyder audio. Check it out, man.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Way to save some room! You helped me in my thread for a 10" in the hole where you mounted your amp. I'll get my pics up asap just waiting for money for the W3 so I know the ring is cut right before I go glassing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a small sealed 12 in my trunk right now. I did have a big ported box in there at one time, but I wouldn't be able to get to my spare tire if I needed it.
edit: the big box was a pain in the ass to get in and out.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
mattokoo1 said:
What subs are those? Did u make that box also? How does it soud with top down?
those are 8w7's, and yes i made the box. it sounds great with the top down, but better with it up.

you could put the amps under the vert top, though i wouldn't recommend it. if that top leaks, that will be the very first place that gets wet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
definetly need custom boxes but they are usually $100-150 more. thats not a fiberglass box though.

on my m3 vert it sounds better with top up as in any other vert. You will never get that great of sound in a vert compared to coupe.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
if you're crafty, you can do a wood box for the cost of a sheet of MDF, some wood glue, and some screws. just make sure you pre-drill your holes if you are going to screw it. i'd say less than $30 with enough wood left over to build another one or two of them. you could also do it out of fiberglass to use every last inch of space for airspace if you need it, depending on the sub. i actually made most of that box out of wood, and the top and back of it are fiberglass, just to squeeze a little more room out of it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts