DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sunroof is totally screwed and rattles like crazy with every little bump - it's driving me crazy. I've checked all the obvious things like re-aligning it and tightening down the screws, etc. but it's something totally different. It's just totally loose. As in if you have the windows rolled up and shut the door the sunroof jumps up about an inch or more LOL. I had the dealer take a look at it when I was there for something else and they want $500 for a whole new setup ... they said most likely the cables are stretched blah blah blah and it has to be replaced. Damn car is a 99 ... don't know why this thing is so screwd up but I MUST get it fixed. I can't bare paying $500 to fix it though ... does anyone have any other ideas? If nothing else, what kind of place should I take it to that would know how to fix it without sticking it to me in the a**. I've messed around with it for a few hours and nothing seems to help. About the only thing I can think of is to find places to wedge pieces of cardboard/plastic etc. so the thing just can't move at all. But then I obviously wouldn't be able to use it and that sucks. HELP!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I know what you mean. Mine is driving me crazy, I havnt tried to fix it yet. It doesnt do it when its open, only when closed. When I work on mine, ill let ya know how it goes.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Yup, same here. I have a '98. It's pretty bad. I think you have to pull the headliner to get to the part at the back which is F*d up.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
First off 500 is retarded. At the very worst if you get it replaced go to the junkyard and have them get you one and install it yourself. Its very easy and I installed one back in the day when I literally knew NOTHING about cars. Cost about 100 dollars for the entire assembly, motor and all, and it worked like a charm.

Otherwise, I say you get in there yourself, find out what is rattling and then figure up a way to make it stop, shouldnt be too hard at all to figure out. And if you have 500 dollars as the other option you better damn well have the initiative to do the work yourself :).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine has been driving me nuts as well. To make things worse, the damn plastic cover broke and now it rattles even worse. Damn cheap Jap parts:mad: Mine's only a 98 too!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have the same problem with mine and mine is the oldest, a 97! :)

What happened on mine was the grease had dried up and needs to be relubed, I haven't done it yet but I see how it makes sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
did any of you guys ever try to close the sunroof but it felt jammed? mine finally closed with a SNAP and a couple of broken plastic clips. now sometimes it doesnt want to close at all , i have to push the sunroof and hold the button down. also sometimes ill push the button , itll close all the way and then reverse itself and open all the way. oh well better than no sunroof

1 - 8 of 8 Posts