DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARIGHT my asshole neighbor decided that itd be a wonderful friggen idea to get super glue all over my damn hood while gluing her POS car back together. of course me being the gentleman that i am i let the bitch off cause im a sweet guy, but now i have glue on the upper part of my hood that i don't want to pay 300 dollars to get repainted. can anyone suggest a good way to remove the super glue? thanks very much and excuse the language, im kinda pissed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Solutions - hopefully

Being in the automotive refinising industry I know a couple of possibilities...

1. 3m Clay Bar - hose the area down and luibricate it with some car wash soap, clay bar the area until imperfections are removed. be careful, some people think that clay bars dont actually remove paint but only the sludge on the paint....they are wrong. Be careful not to burn the paint.

2. 3m perfectit III extra cut compound. - polish and buff that bitch out with some compound. And finish it off with some hand glaze to smooth it out.

3.!BEST BET! Wetsand with 3m 1500 grit imerial wetordry paper, then finish it up by buffing it with 3m perfect t III (normal cut *not extra cut) compund. [careful not to burn the paint by sanding too much]

These supplies can be found at your local automotive refinishing shop - get ready to pay their marked-up prices. hey its better than having a panel that doesnt match... trust me thats what will happen. If you get her repainted ask to see the painters spot paint and paint matching ability - it may be something you are not willing to live with. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
113 Posts
combination

also you might wanna try a combo - like
1. clay bar to remove excess.
2. wet sand.
3. machine buff with compound.
4. machine buff OR hand polish with 3m hand glaze to remove any swirl marks.

unfortunately there is no real way to lift it off cause the glue bonds very nicely to the paint. Hopefully there was enough silicone (wax) on there that the clay bar and compounding will remove the imperfections atop the paint.

im not sure what glue was used but hopefully it doesnt have a chemical make-up that would eat away at the paint. Like some adhesives do.

Ask more q?s if you are having trouble but hopefully this will fix your car.

let me know how it goes

·
Registered
101 Posts
OUCH :eeek: Man that would have made me furious :realmad: I probably would have brought down the thunder on her :slam:

Superglue is going to be tough to remove without hurting the paint with solvent. First give it a good wash down with whatever soap you use to wash your car with. Then try some paint cleaner (meguires or the like) and see if it does anything.

If that doesn't work, I would try some rubbing compound, because that contains a small amount of solvents that won't be as harsh as using just plain solvent. Don't apply it in direct sunlight and make sure the hood is cooled down, or you'll probably be repainting it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
You could get an unpainted carbon fiber hood too. Not exactly the best solution but it would work. Might not be a bad excuse either.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nevermind

Nevermind. You need the carbon fiber hood. This is the excuse you need.

If it is unable to be fixed with what I've mentioned above then your costs for a new hood may be under that for repainting it. Consider the weight reduction.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, all this sounds really complicated for a 17 year old, i wouldn't have a clue how to use a clay bar, or buff anything. the carbon fiber hood idea sounds pretty good, but considering this hood is brand new along with the paint from my accident i think ill stick with it. is there anyway i could ask a body shop to fix it somehow? would could i ask them to do? thanks alot

·
Registered
143 Posts
Saying you're 17 is a poor excuse. Age has nothing to do with it. That's like me saying "I can't rebuild my engine, I'm only 20 and I have no garage."

Give it a try! You cant hurt it much more ;)

...and if you do, get the cf hood. Those things look SICK on 2g's. I love it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most super glues ARE water soluable. It's slower than hell, but they do dissolve in water. So, you can wash it off, but it will take more time than you probably have.

I would recommend diluting some nail polish remover (acetone) like about 1 part remover and 8 parts water. If it damages your finish slightly, you can use polish (car polish not nail polish) to get it to come back. Don't use it full strength unless you want to cry like a baby over your ruined paint.

OR, tell your stupid neighbor to either a) make you a VERY happy man or b) put up some cash to cover a professional repair.

·
Honorary Administrator
17,452 Posts
Hobby shops sell a solvent that is used to disolve CA. Not sure if super glue is cynoacrilate (sp?) but it might just work.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RippinGSX said:
How exactlly did you get superglue on your car when she was gluing her car together? Using your hood as a table or what?
haha, funny thing she was actually using it as a table, she asked me why her heads were leaking and i told her there was prob a crack, so the next day i see her outside with her damn head light on my hood, but she had a towel under it so i thought nothing of it.

Originally posted by tracer

Saying you're 17 is a poor excuse. Age has nothing to do with it. That's like me saying "I can't rebuild my engine, I'm only 20 and I have no garage."

Give it a try! You cant hurt it much more

...and if you do, get the cf hood. Those things look SICK on 2g's. I love it!
i know, ive given everything a shot, but right now with work and everything else i really don't have the time to so i needed a quick solution. on sunday if i don't have to do anything i plan on buying a clay bar and getting some meguiers paint cleaner to see if that works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts