DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i had a well known (early eclipse) mechanic look at my car and he thought it would be the ISC motor. We had replaced it and no luck. So he had pulled the MAF sensor connector off and the idle stabilized while in drive. He told me to get a new one. Could this really be the problem? Please explain to me how. another thing that i had noticed was there was a mounting nut missing off the throttle body. Could that be sucking excess air in and causing the surge? :dunno:

· Registered
142 Posts
To the OP, deffinately make sure you have all the nuts bolted on the intake manifold nice and tight and if I were you I would get new gasket material for the throttle body just to make sure. When I replaced my throttle body I didn't have a good enough seal and I was idling at 3000rpm!

· Registered
3,533 Posts
Yes, the MAF can cause idle issues, its telling the ECU (which controlls fuel, timing, etc) how much air is entering the motor. If the ECU is giving a bad reading, obviously you'll have issues.

However, a boost leak will also cause idle issues, as the MAF isn't seeing the correct amount of air that is indeed entering the motor.

I'd honestly do a boost leak first, which will also tell you how important that little "nut" is...and here's a link to a leak tester:

http://vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

· Premium Member
3 Posts
Yes, the MAF can cause idle issues, its telling the ECU (which controlls fuel, timing, etc) how much air is entering the motor. If the ECU is giving a bad reading, obviously you'll have issues.

However, a boost leak will also cause idle issues, as the MAF isn't seeing the correct amount of air that is indeed entering the motor.

I'd honestly do a boost leak first, which will also tell you how important that little "nut" is...and here's a link to a leak tester:

IC Pipe Tester
I bought a new/rebuilt MAS ($500) on my 93 Eagle with a 92 Mitsubishi engine. That didn't correct the surge. Also, new TPS, ECU, Alternator & computer.
Nothing has worked. I must get rid of my baby I've had for 26 years! Bob. 11/23/2022

· Elite DSMtalker
1,598 Posts
Man, is this site dead or what? Nothing but spam in the recent tech articles. I haven't been here in years and thought I'd see what's up. Wow.

To the OP try cleaning the MAF with some brake clean on the wire. Any vac leak will cause surge or high idle. Spray the intake mani with carb cleaner to see if you get a surge to find ur leak. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts