DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After using MD325714 (2G 'small' oil filter) since I purchased the car last august, I switched to Purolator PureOne yesterday in a pinch -- this one was PL10193, meant for 90-92 DSMs and in comparison to my OEM is much fatter in diameter and shorter as well.

Previously my oil pressure at cruise 3500 RPM or so had been about halfway between the middle mark and the high mark on my POS stock gauge.. it was always above the little oil icon that looks like a lamp of sorts. After changing the oil and filter yestserday i drove the car about 10 miles and noticed all pressure normal, I was happy.

However this morning I go out to the car, its cold... start it up.. WTF i hear a tap-tap-tap -- hrm not good. ANyways, I drive it down the block and by the time i hit the stop light, the car is quiet again, no more tapping. Ok attribute it to the cold (never heard this before anyways). BUT.. on the way to work at cruise, I notice my oil pressure never goes above the oil lamp icon.. it stays closer to the halfway mark than the H mark now. Oil pressure is obviously lower across the board, I think its the same at idle as it was before (very low but normal). I'm not sure if I should go back to OEM or if this new pressure reading is normal because I changed the size of the filter...

·
Registered
163 Posts
i got the puralotor pure one 3kgt vr4 oil filter, and yes, at stops or when i turn on my car, the pressure is low...all i do is revv the car a bit, and wait till it slowly climbs...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
The service manual doesn't show what oil passage the pressure sender for the gauge samples but the idiot light switch is between the pump and the filter. I assume the gauge sender is the same.

If that is the case then what you are seeing on the gauge is the oil pressure supplied to the filter not the engine. May I suggest here that this isn't what we want.

Lets say your are running a really dirty filter with a lot of back pressure. Then you change oil and filter and the pressure drop goes way down across the filter media. The engine could be seeing higher oil pressure now while the gauge reads lower.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts