DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I can't believe I'm actually asking this question, you'd think I'd know this...but I don't.

What I want to do is replace the turbine housing on my 16G. The one I have is pretty worn. I have acquired a newer one and I've ported it. I'd love it if I can just undo the clamp between it and the bearing section, loosen the four manifold bolts, take it off and then bolt up the new housing WITHOUT draining the oil and coolant from the motor.

If it's possible to do this the way I want, it'll be a two hour affair rather than a three or four hour one, since I won't have to worry about draining and refilling, blah blah. Is this possible or are the seals that secure the bearing section from leaking held in place by the turbine housing being pressed against it by the clamp that holds the housing on? I'm sorry I don't know this...I searched but there's really nothing I could search on that would come up with this info.

Any quick help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
its possible

Ive done this on my 1g. All you have to do is remove the 4 manifold to turbo bolts, removed the DP, and remove the band clamp on the turbo, unlplug the o2 sensor. You may also have to bend the oil dip stick out of the way slightly. Then the exhaust housing is ready to come off, I had to tap on mine lightly with a hammer to "break if free".

Attia
94 Tsi AWD
98 Supra Turbo

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great...that's what I figured. I just didn't want to be wrong and have coolant and oil spray all over me and all creation when I took off the exhaust housing. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did install it myself, but I didn't pay attention to it when I was assembling it. Plus, it was not full of oil or coolant when I put it together. I know it was a pretty stupid question...I just wanted to be sure.

But yes, I installed it myself...took me 10 hours, but I did it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
everytime i think this thread is dead, you guys go and post something else... no wonder you guys are "hardcore" and "*ultimate*" DSMTalkers. LOL.

Attia
94 Tsi AWD
98 Supra Turbo

·
Registered
244 Posts
yea, the supras very mildly modded. with only 3" hi-flow cat, 17psi, fuel cut mod, drop in k&n and shitty tires, it went [email protected] this year, i ditched the cat and got some real rubber so im hoping i can cut it down to a 12.3. If finances are ok through winter, itll have a rather large turbo in it by next spring :D . The dsm also gets alot of mods too, been preparing it for a turbo large enough to put me in the deep 11's, hopefully i can make that happen before they close the tracks this year.

Attia
94 Tsi AWD
98 Supra Turbo

·
Registered
244 Posts
i had one on my Talon, worked great but didnt fit all that well. And i didnt want to cut more and more parts of the body/frame to get it to fit perfectly. wasnt worth it IMO, so im currently running the stock IC until the FMIC arrives!

Attia
94 Tsi AWD
98 Supra Turbo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts