DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking at this 50-trim turbo for my Evo 1. Would be going for an internal wastegate and high pressure actuator. What I am wondering about is the turbine wheel type. There are 2 options: a Stage 3/T-31 wheel or a Stage 5/P-trim wheel. Surprisingly to me, the stage 3 wheel is more expensive. What would be the difference between these 2 turbine wheels?

Many thanks to anyone who can explain this to me :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well first: i would suggest to use an external gate (O2 mounted) instead of a internal gate. Second: the Stage 5 wheel (that isn't the same as a P-trim wheel!!!) will spool slower than the Stage 3 wheel but can be capable of more HP on the top end.

If spool is your priority choose the stage 3 wheel if you can tolerate some lag then go with the Stage 5

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I need to find out what Turbo Trader mean, as they say the Stage 5 was the P-trim wheel. What kind of HP would it offer above the Stage 3 wheel at the top end of the rpm scale?

And why would you suggest an external gate for that turbo? I don't have an exhaust manifold with a mounting point for the wastegate, or can it go onto a stock O2 housing?

·
Registered
123 Posts
It will make more HP, how much i dont know since there are to many variables that will change that,maybe 20hp - 50hp more but ill will be laggier

A external will hold boost more steady than the internal one, check on Punishment Racing and other vendors for O2 housings designed to put a external gate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.