DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a freind of mine bought a 97 grand prix GTP and he thinks its really fast, and can beat anyone, what do you guys think?, he says he beat a few mustangs already, but we just haven't got to race eachother yet. his is all stock, mine has a turbo booster, i run at 15 psi usually , k&n , performance mufler.

·
Registered
82 Posts
diamondtsi said:
a freind of mine bought a 97 grand prix GTP and he thinks its really fast, and can beat anyone, what do you guys think?, he says he beat a few mustangs already, but we just haven't got to race eachother yet. his is all stock, mine has a turbo booster, i run at 15 psi usually , k&n , performance mufler.
a) He took a couple Mustangs. Whoopie. Did he specify what sort of Mustang? Was it a 1988 'stang with a 2.3L 4-cylinder with a 3-speed automatic? Seriously, he could probably take an automatic 'stang GT pretty easily (pre-1999 anyway) but a halfway decent driver in a stick would make it a much tighter race. However, the GTP is no match for a 99+ Stang GT.
b) Grand Prix GTP and boosted DSM are almost a dead heat stock for stock. Running 15 PSI of boost should take care of him pretty easily.

·
Registered
357 Posts
ive raced a GTP before.. but i dont think it was the 97 model, was taht when the newer bodies came out? well i raced the one with the older body, i hear it aint supercharged, but then some say it is. i dont know, but they are pretty quick, ihave a a/t so did he. and we took off with me powerbraking at about 2900, and he i dont know, but did something to where his tires spun. i won :D:D:D:D:D:D they are quick though, like we raced from a roll once, it was like a 40. and i was in drive, so was he and he stomped it, i stomped it. and mine was being stupid and didnt decide to shift quick enough and he took off, and i didnt catch up at all. but you will win.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the older GTP's had a 3.4 DOHC v6 with 210 hp...they are fairly quick, but loaded down with lotsa crap...(HUD, nav puter dealie...etc..)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
with 15 pounds of boost you're pretty much set unless you f-up the launch so bad your clutch burns to the ground.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maestr0 said:
the older GTP's had a 3.4 DOHC v6 with 210 hp...they are fairly quick, but loaded down with lotsa crap...(HUD, nav puter dealie...etc..)
There was also a limited production run with a 3.1L OHV turbo V6. Barely any faster than the 24-valver.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
97 gtp is 240hp supercharged 3.8 liter 6 cyl...they run close to 15 flat as long as he gets perfect launch which they usually dont, 280 torque on a fwd car sucks. 15psi on the t25 would be close race he might pull up top, but on your 14b im sure u would slowly walk him. with a launch he wouldnt keep up

the gtp from 97 would walk away from a gtp from 96, they got more hp and torque but weigh a little more, still faster, at least a half second or so

·
Registered
357 Posts
hm a half a second huh? well i beat the older GTP by like 4 carlenths, so do you think i could keep up with the 97+ gtp? although i got beat by a 2001 GT.... dont ask... i think it was modded.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you guys very much for your replys, ill let you guys know what happens when i race this guy. hope i get him good, he is a show off and thinks his car is the greatest.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
GTP

My good friend Mike has a Prix GTP, he bought it wrecked w/ minor front end damage... he got it for $5K put a little under a grand into it. It's a 97'. Its a V-6 3.8L with a factory eaton supercharger... He had nothing done to it except we took the drivers side headlight out to get some rushing air... He ran a 14.8 1/4 with a 1.5 second reaction time. They are not slow cars. They just suffer from EXTREME traction problems... I mean, unless you like blowing the tires off to the 60ft line. With the optional SLP pulley for the supercharger and a K&N drop in filter its supposed to give an easy 25HP increase.
But you'd still be driving a pontiac?:D

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,681 Posts
A fiero?

LMFAO! You said fiero...
Yeah... they have to weigh less too... but again...
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO DRIVE A FIERO?:puke:
Im working on him... he used to be a muscle head...
He owns around 10 camaros and firebirds... *shudder*

If he keeps up at this rate he'll be selling all of them to buy a GSX... and he might have enough left over to pay one months insurance... LOL...

It took a while but hes like amazed at how nice sport compact can be... (better ride, nicer interior...if you keep it, um front wheel drive... this is Pennsylvania people... ect ect)
Im working on him. I'll put a huge post up when I make him succumb to the "dark" side!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Check out www.clubgp.com for the straight skinny on GTPs. Don't rely on hearsay.

There are GTPs in the 11s now, full street trim. Of course not stock.

Details about mine are here. Details about my '92 Talon are here.

A stock GTP with a competent driver will go mid to high 14s consistently.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts