DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 eclipse AT non T, and my tranny is stuck in only one gear, i think 3rd. My question is where is the tcu? Behind radio is one box mounted with 3 screws that i replaced when I got the car to make it run better (the ECU). There is no other box behind there. That box has 3 plugs going into it. Is the TCU built into the ECU? if not where could I find it?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
There's 2 boxes back there that are very similar in size and 1 is the TCU and the other is the ECU. The ECU is further back towards the firewall and sits horizontal and the tcu is closer to back of radio and sits vertical. For some reason your TCU put you in 'limp mode' because either something's not right with the trans or the TCU itself. There's a 4/at fuse in the fusebox (left of brake petal) you should check 1st and of course chk your A/T fluid level and sometimes A/T fluid and filter change will make the difference. Also pull TCU codes via OBD connector. Post and look in A/T forum too.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
91-Bluebird said:
There's 2 boxes back there that are very similar in size and 1 is the TCU and the other is the ECU. The ECU is further back towards the firewall and sits horizontal and the tcu is closer to back of radio and sits vertical. For some reason your TCU put you in 'limp mode' because either something's not right with the trans or the TCU itself. There's a 4/at fuse in the fusebox (left of brake petal) you should check 1st and of course chk your A/T fluid level and sometimes A/T fluid and filter change will make the difference. Also pull TCU codes via OBD connector. Post and look in A/T forum too.
^
I might need to correct myself there. The one that lies flat and closer to firewall is the TCU i believe.

·
Elite DSMtalker
694 Posts
If his TCU is missing then there is no way for it to have been running up to now.

I know for a fact that in the 2Gs the TCU is the one flat right next to the firewall. You should be able to see it if you have the sides of the middle console off.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
LatDSM said:
I know for a fact that in the 2Gs the TCU is the one flat right next to the firewall. You should be able to see it if you have the sides of the middle console off.

Same as 1g's and yes with those middle console side panels off (where they meet the firewall) you will definately see it :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.