DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question : I don't know a thing about suspenssion, so I was curious why do most go with GC's w/ Konis vs. Tein SS Dampers? The price of the Tein coilover setup is less for a 2g than GC's + Konis + Uppermounts. Is there a reason to not buy the Tein setup?

Tein Super Street Damper Link => http://www.tein.com/ssdamp.html

·
Registered
619 Posts
igs said:
Tein is far superior.
No they aren't. Please get your head examined if you think crappy "entry-level" coilovers are better than revalvable Koni's.

Koni's = You can get them revalved when you blow them from just about any road race shop. Also you can have them revalved to accept a lot stiffer spring for those of us who autocross.

Tein's = ?? Their support network is their shop in California. That's it.

Also, standard spring rates apply for the GC's. I've never gotten a clear word out of Tein on getting better spring rates for their SS's.

If you're just going for looks and want to show off andonized greens, get the Teins, but until Tein releases something that's better than "Street Spec", spend your money elsewhere.

My two ¥.

·
Registered
764 Posts
What springs do you get to match the Konis? Teins are prematched. If you want stiffer springs get the FLEX coilover.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You can get any spring you want with a ground control setup. From 300 lb (very streetable) to over 700 lb (Bye bye fillings) springs. It depends a lot on your driving style/activities. That's the biggest advantage of the GC/Koni combo.

The setup on Tein's are optimized for STREET (hence the "SS" ratings). Like I said, they're okay if all you want to do is lower the car. Also note that SS's don't have upper pillow ball mounts, which are crucial for our low suspension travel cars. 500/300 (quoted by Tein's site) just seems too soft in the rear, IMO.

You can also get threaded koni shock bodies from TruChoice and later have both the damper and rebound adjustments later on.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Tein also sells the FLEX damper for the 2g AWD, check it out Here

The Flex Series of Dampers also comes with the pillowball upper mounts, this is the coilovers i'm going with. I can get em for $1200 also.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PokeyTheDSM said:

If you're just going for looks and want to show off andonized greens, get the Teins, but until Tein releases something that's better than "Street Spec", spend your money elsewhere.

My two ¥.
I'm trying to find a suspension setup for street / drag racing. I have a FWD with traction and wheel hop issues. The turbo I have helps a bit because of the turbo lag, but once I hit full boost I'm spinning tires and wheel hoppping all over the place. I am learning to do partial throttle launches, but I figure the stock suspension is not the greatest. I would like to remove some of the gap between the tires and fenders as well, but the #1 objective is to tighten it up for a better launch. Thats the plan at least. I'm open for suggestions, so far it seems many do the GC / Koni route, which I have no objection with. I was just curious if the Tein was worth a shot or not :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm willing to bet you'd be good with either the TrueChoice Koni's with GC's or the Tein FLEX Dampers. I'm pretty sure the TrueChoices could be easily tailored to your needs. I'm just not quite sure what the price will be for that. Maybe knowing your price range could help with the suggestions. Good luck!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinking about spending around $1k on the setup - or at least I hope to. It all depends on the advantages vs disadvantages. I figure that there is only so much I can do about wheel hop and such on a FWD with just the suspension. I plan on doing a LSD / tranny rebuild in a few months to help out as well.

·
Registered
644 Posts
with a budget of around 1k, i don't think the TrueChoice setup would be good, i think that setup runs around 1.5K to 2k. Thats just what i remember someone saying on here. With regular Koni's and some GC's I think it would probably be in your price range, or at least close to it. GC's are alot of peoples favorites cause you can tell them what spring rates you want. Maybe someone else has some info they can add to this topic to help you with your decision.

·
Registered
764 Posts
PokeyTheDSM said:
You can get any spring you want with a ground control setup. From 300 lb (very streetable) to over 700 lb (Bye bye fillings) springs. It depends a lot on your driving style/activities. That's the biggest advantage of the GC/Koni combo.
Can Konis handle 700 lb springs? That's the reason why I don't like to go with GC. Sure you can pick whatever springs you want, but how are you going to get matching shocks?

·
Registered
644 Posts
igs said:
Can Konis handle 700 lb springs? That's the reason why I don't like to go with GC. Sure you can pick whatever springs you want, but how are you going to get matching shocks?
Thats where TrueChoice comes in I believe. They customize the Koni's to suite the spring rates you will be using. There website here can explain it better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts