DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1G head that i am working on. I have pretty much everything taken off and cleaned, but i am not sure if it had bent valves or not. is there any way to tell if any valves are bent with out taking the valves or valve springs out?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just rebuilt my head after a leakdown test showed bent exhaust valves. Anyways I couldn't tell if they were bent or not, you have to take it to a machine shop and have then either pressure test it, or take it apart and check the valves for staightness.

Actually I got a brain wave here, maybe if you were to put water in the intake and/or exhaust runner and see if water leaks out from the valve. Just make sure your cams are out so the valves are all pulled in.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Airman said:
Actually I got a brain wave here, maybe if you were to put water in the intake and/or exhaust runner and see if water leaks out from the valve. Just make sure your cams are out so the valves are all pulled in.
actually, thats a good idea. i think that might work. its genious!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks ill try that tomorrow and let you know. what kind of alcohol should i use. will rubbing alcohol work?

·
Registered
13 Posts
??

Yes that is the best!! Let it set and see if the leak. Do you know anybody with any pistion rings, I NEED SOME ASAP. I would prefer them new

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i tried alcohol on it, no leaks whatsoever, so i guess the valves are ok. Also the head looks amazing now, pretty shiny silver. ill post some pictures later.

·
Registered
13 Posts
??

how long did yo ulet it sit for, sohuld of let it sit for at least 30 min, and did you do Intake side too?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You can tell if you have a Burnt/Bent exhaust valve.By holding a $1 bill in your exhaust tip.If it want's to suck the $1 bill into your exhaust,then you have a Burnt/Bent exhaust valve.....just a mechanic trick....

·
Registered
423 Posts
That trick with the dollar bill is really cool, i'm gonna remember that, thanx :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could put a 1 dollar bill up to my exhaust tip, but that would be pointless since the head is sitting in my dorm room. Yeah i let it sit in there for 15 minutes and did the exhaust and intake valves and it didnt leak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts