DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but here it goes. If you take the cat converter off and run a test pipe, Will this make the car run Richer or leaner than usual? Theres an O2 sensor behind the cat, right? I want to do this to a 95 Tsi but I don't know the consequences.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Superfly, there is no o2 sensor after the cat, on 2g you'll find two o2 sensors one in the o2 housing (right before the downpipe) and one in the downpipe, but I've got a 1G so I think we need an opinion from someone that owes a 2G and really knows :) I can tell you for sure that you will notice the power increase :)

------------------

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo, your right. I don't know what I was thinking. The second O2 sensor is on the cat, That is the one I question about.

·
Registered
748 Posts
running with a test pipe will of course make more flow causing the engine to run leaner but the computer will fix that on its own. PLUS running with a test pipe, more people will see your back bumper.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the computer will adjust on its on? Sounds like a winner to me!!! But will my MPGs drop?? I just want to make sure that this is exactly what I want.

Jason
"Drive It Like Ya Stole It"

·
Registered
65 Posts
superfly, there is an O2 sensor right after the cat. When you bolt in your test pipe, you will notice a slight increase in power as well as sound. Your car will most likely run just a tad bit leaner, but nothing to really worry about, unless your running an AFC and doing lots of tuning. Your check engine light may or may not come on. If it does, the ECU thinks the cat is failing and kicks the light on. Just reset the ECU if it comes on or bolt in a high flow cat.

'98 GS-T www.eclipsepage.8k.com

·
Honorary Moderator
1,600 Posts
Sorry guys increasing the flow will not make you run any leaner or richer. Fuel is added to the mixture by the ECU. The MAF (and temp and baro sensors) tell the ECU exactly how much air is entering so it knows how much fuel to add per that given amount of air. If you increase the flow that just means more air which the MAF sees and the ECU then supplies enough fuel for that air.

Test pipes add quite a bit of punch. But at least up here they are illegal and come with a fine of $385 or more.

------------------
Quadcylla
92 Laser RS-T FWD

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Wow, $385, thats like a slap on the knuckles compared to Michigan. You get a "Go-to-jail-free" card and a $2000 fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Does anyone have before and after times with testpipe and without? I'm currently running a 3" hi flo cat and was thinking of getting a test pipe made. Just curious as to the time it cut off in the 1/4.

Mike

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey what is the average price for a test pipe. I've been to a few exaust shops around here and the say they can't make me one. But then I tell them I'm only gonna use it on the track(what they dont know wont hurt them haha) they told me from $100-$150. Crap i can get a high flow cat for thatprice

·
Registered
748 Posts
David Brode sells a test pipe for only $35+shipping! I don't know his e-mail or website address off the top of my head, but i'll get back to you....I bought his $72 uip from him.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was told by Extreme that they only have noticed a .10 difference between a high flow, or no cat at all. This was from Royd that works there, so it's not really worth it if you ahve emissions. Besides, you WILL NOT notice a .10 difference on the street. I've ran mine both ways, and the only thing the test pipe did was muddy up the sound of the beautiful Thermal :)

------------------
[http://hometown.aol.com/happymouth/myhomepage/profile.html/]

·
Registered
333 Posts
ok i had a 2G. there is no O2 sensor in the downpipe first of all. also you can remove the cat and put in a test pipe and not get a check engine light. and 3rd, email me at [email protected] and i'll sell you a new test pipe for $35.

·
Registered
333 Posts
that is stainless with flanges. bolts right up for 2.5" exhaust.

guess that check engine lights depends on the car. mine never ever went off with the test pipe on.

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lee:
ok i had a 2G.(i agree :D ) there is no O2 sensor in the downpipe first of all.( i also agree here too but there is an o2 sensor right after the cat :D ) also you can remove the cat and put in a test pipe and not get a check engine light.(i dissagree...90% of 2g dsm's get a c/e light when they remove the cat, mine pop's on about once a month :D ) and 3rd, email me at [email protected] and i'll sell you a new test pipe for $35.(is that pipe stainless with flanges or will i have to have it welded in place :D )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
167 Posts
i got my car (97 GSX in case you didn't catch it in the name) on the 10th of June (in bone stock condiction) and on the 14th put on a test pipe (what a first mod!). my car ran witout the "check engine" light for a day or two and then it came on. i'll try the resetting the ECU tonight and see if that gets rid of it, but i doubt it. just my experience,
PAUL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts