DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally, the third annual Texas DSM gathering/shootout was not planned for this year for several reasons. One of the major reasons is because of the economy and lack of sponsors.

It takes a lot of time to properly organize one of those events and it is expensive. For example, an event held in September, I would start planning in January and it was like a second job. Typically, you have to reserve a track at least six months in advance in order to secure a free date. It costs anywhere from $1250 - $5000 to rent an area track for five hours and on top of that, some tracks keep the entry fee for spectators and racers. That doesn't include putting together the seminar or "gathering" with speakers the day before at a restaurant or hotel conference room.

Even though it was a lot of work, I still enjoyed organizing the last two events, however this year it didn't seem that there was any support or interest from Texas DSM until the past month when I received inquires from a few individuals in Dallas, Austin and Houston.

I have recently heard that Forced Performance might be interested in organizing an event in October, I'm sure it'll work out just fine. They were our major sponsor last year and it would be great if they could do it again this year.

Addendum:
In the past couple of days I have received MORE responses from Texas DSMers in Austin, Dallas, and Houston about the annual shootout, which is normally held each fall.

It's good to know that Texas DSMers are still interested in the annual shootout. I have also been contacted by the individuals from last year who helped organize the local DSM groups' (Austin DSM, Houston DSM, and DFW DSM) caravans and/or lodging arrangements from Dallas and Houston. They are willing to help out again this year. I am sure we will see a return appearance from Oklahoma DSM & San Antonio DSM as well.

The determining factor will be Forced Performance's particapation/contribution. Basically, it will solely be their event if they are interested. To my knowledge, nothing has been established thus far, however I could be wrong. I'll keep you guys updated as things develop.

If this does happen, this year's event will the biggest and badest event ever and it will be the third year in a row!

Love Lindsey - Texas DSM
98 GST
107 traps

·
Registered
235 Posts
Count me in on attending if they do have a Texas DSM Shootout this year. I have a group of about 20 people that I hang out with that drive DSM so i'm sure we will show our support in any way that we can. Let us know if you need any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tx97GSX said:
Count me in on attending if they do have a Texas DSM Shootout this year. I have a group of about 20 people that I hang out with that drive DSM so i'm sure we will show our support in any way that we can. Let us know if you need any help.

Sounds good. Thanks for the support. Once again, I'll be posting updates as they develop.

BTW- I'll be in College Station this weekend pit crewing at TWS. :)

Love Lindsey - Texas DSM
98 GST
107 traps

·
Registered
84 Posts
Awesome!

I am with EOS Performance in Houston we are a locally founded team of DSM's just slightly organized & doing allot of R & D with both 1g and 2g modifications. Exhibition Of Speed or EOS would like to be included in the Texas DSM Shootout and offer our assistance in any way we can. Unfurtanetly we are not able to be a financial sponsor at this time. We are 21 members strong and growing like mad. We have allot of talent in many different areas so please fell free to contact me anytime for assistance with anything; co-ordination, advertising, ideas, etc....... We are very excited in participating and attending this event. Thank You and Lets make it happen this year to keep it going for next year.

Denis:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
749 Posts
you know ill be there with about 5 other people, hope it works out :p

peace

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
You know me and my sled will be there if the TXDSM shootout happens again. I'm crossing my fingers because the last 2 years the annual TXDSM event has kicked major ass. I'll never forget the first one, taking over the hotel parking lot. I still have the pictures from that somewhere. Heheh, I had the Talon, and the guy who bought Turboless Wonder brought it too.. that rocked.

I really hope Forced decides to go ahead with it again this year. See if we can get Ed (the Chrysler engineer) to come out again too! That guy was a great speaker (or so I thought). I think he taught a lot of people a lot of things they didn't know about motors, myself included. So what if he took up 2/3 of the total time for the meeting... he was on a ROLL! :D :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
hey i would like to see some pictures if you got em? i was to young to go back than though i still loved dsm's :D

peace

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
I'll have to dig around for them, and if I find them I'll have to get them scanned (these are actual photos). But if I do find them, scan them, and upload, I'll let you know where to find them!

·
Registered
749 Posts
alright cool, hope ya find em :p

peace

·
Registered
195 Posts
Where is this thing going to be this year ?
Have you all found a sponsor yet ?
Whats it going to take to get this thing going ?
(What do you need)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wayne said:
Where is this thing going to be this year ?
Have you all found a sponsor yet ?
Whats it going to take to get this thing going ?
(What do you need)

As of last week, Forced Performance has agreed to sponsor the event again this year. Now the only issue is being able to reserve a track at such a late date. We prefer to use RCR due to their central location and lower fees. I will be contacting tracks this week. Hopefully everything will get pulled together for an event in early November.

·
Registered
749 Posts
sweet ass, i hope everything works out well cause ill be up there with my friend brian, (dsm of the month :p ) and a couple of other people, hopefully ill have my car running by than :D

peace

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TurboEclipseGSX said:
sweet ass, i hope everything works out well cause ill be up there with my friend brian, (dsm of the month :p ) and a couple of other people, hopefully ill have my car running by than :D

peace
Heheh...I just realized that was WILDBILL (aka Brian). Hell yeah! :rockon:

·
Registered
749 Posts
hey racergirlgst, where in texas do you live, i live in the fortworth/arlington area, just wondering where you live to see if any more dsm'rs are close to my area

peace

·
Registered
18 Posts
Texas DSM's-hot as hell

just reading this Tx. shoot-out deal. I'm doin the rebuild on my first DSM. I'm south of Dallas and wondering if you've checked out the MotorPlex. Also you might contact Jotech in Garland, and Alamo in Arlington? I'd love to be there as well. Hope it all jellifies... lubdaspeedyo...aloha!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TurboEclipseGSX said:
hey racergirlgst, where in texas do you live, i live in the fortworth/arlington area, just wondering where you live to see if any more dsm'rs are close to my area

peace
I just moved to the DFW area a couple of weeks ago from Austin. I know a few of the DFW DSMers from other Texas DSM gatherings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Texas DSM's-hot as hell

turbobird said:
just reading this Tx. shoot-out deal. I'm doin the rebuild on my first DSM. I'm south of Dallas and wondering if you've checked out the MotorPlex. Also you might contact Jotech in Garland, and Alamo in Arlington? I'd love to be there as well. Hope it all jellifies... lubdaspeedyo...aloha!
Thanks for the suggestions. I have taken Ennis into consideration. I will be contacting TxMotorplex, HRP and RCR, but as I found last year, RCR is the cheapest and more centrally located for Texas. Last year Forced Performance was a major sponsor and we had around 10 other sponsors. This year Forced Performance has offered to be a major sponsor (which will cover the track rental if I am able to find an available date).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts