DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
Turbo Sport Issue? just a guess what about GSX does the X stand for any word? Also what about RS and ESI?

·
Registered
871 Posts
well i don't know for sure, but here goes. X i believe stands for awd atleast some cars over time that were awd also had the X, like the 323 gtX. rs means rally sport, or atleast it did on the old v8 cars. as far as esi i'd have to say that if tsi meant "turbo sport issue" (which sounds good to me) then esi means "economy sport issue"....maybe.
also on the eclipse line gs should mean "gran sport" and the "t" maybe "turbo" or "two" for 2wd and the "x" = awd.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
491 Posts
From the Talon Digest:

------------------------

Talon --
TSi - Turbo Sport injection
(the 'I' designation is a carryover from the 80's when car
manufacturers wanted to specify that a vehicle's engine was
fuel injected rather than carbureted - BMW was among the first
vehicle manufacturers to add this suffix). Also, Turbo Sport intercooled.

ES - Edition Sport
(this is a unique one...Chrysler introduced the 'ES' designation
on the Dodge Daytona as an alternative to differentiate
themselves from the growing popularity of 'SE' by other
manufacturers - it worked for the Daytona, so it was ported to
the Talon)
ESi - Edition Sport injection
(same as above with the added attempt at sophistication by
elongating the suffix)
DL - Definitely Lame
(just kidding - it's an abreviation for 'Deluxe')

Laser / Eclipse --
RS - Rally Sport
(intended to denote the sportiness level above the base model)
GS - Grand Sport
GS-T - Grand Sport-Turbo
GSX - Grand Sport All Wheel Drive
(this one is a bit of a strech by the marketing folks at
Mitsubishi. The 'X' refers to the word 'cross' as in
'cross country', making loose reference to being able to
cover terrain that other vehicles cannot)

------------------------

Hope this helps.

------------------
-------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
The 'X' refers to the word 'cross' as in
'cross country', making loose reference to being able to cover terrain that other vehicles cannot

Like a 60' launch...lol! I think I'm getting tired...

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
729 Posts
How the heck is the DL "deluxe"???????

Id rather have a (i cant believe im saying this) civic than that piece of...

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Yeah, isn't the DeLux the bottom of the line in the Talon line. Also I have previously read that the TSI is Turbo Sport Injection like said above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TSI seems to be a chrysler thing. It stands for Turbo Sport Intercooled.
Tim Jones
'98 Spyder GS (Grand Sport?)
'87 Conquest TSI

·
Registered
231 Posts
One thing I don't like about the letter designation is that Lasers got RS on all above stock models. For instance, my '92 says Laser RS on the back bumper but its a turbo AWD! (as seen by the stickers on the side of the car). I'm thinking of getting a vinyl graphic for the letter "X" and sticking it on after the RS. The "X" I want would be similar to the X-files "X". So it would stand out a little! Just my $0.02.

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spyder_GS:
TSI seems to be a chrysler thing. It stands for Turbo Sport Intercooled.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TSi does seem to be a Chrysler thing, but I don't think it stands for "Turbo Sport Intercooled" in *all* cases. For example, the Dodge Intrepid TSi which is not turbocharged, as well as the Grand Cherokee TSi (yes, they exist), which is also N/A. Seems Chrysler gave this monicker to their sportiest trim of each model, maybe. Although, the Talon TSi was the first model (AFAIK) to bear this trim name, so maybe it meant "Turbo Sport intercooled/injection" originally on the Talon, and Chrysler later relegated it to mean "sporty" on other models.

Another cool thing someone suggested on the Talon Digest ... as far as GS-T and GSX models go, you could take the "T" and "X" to refer to their respective drive wheels. i.e. the GST is FWD, and the "T" moves forward and then splits at the top, showing power being directed to the front two wheels. And on the GSX, being AWD, the "X" shows the power being directed to all four corners. I don't think that this is how Mitsu intended them to be translated, but it's an interesting way to look at it. Anyway, just something interesting I read.

Later,

------------------
-------------

[This message has been edited by ForestTalonAWD (edited September 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ForestTalonAWD:
Although, the Talon TSi was the first model (AFAIK) to bear this trim name
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They had a Conquest Tsi back in the mid/late 80's. Can anyone remember any earlier TSi's?

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joec:
They had a Conquest Tsi back in the mid/late 80's. Can anyone remember any earlier TSi's?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops! You're right, I forgot about those! They also had a turbocharged Mitsu engine, so I would assume the TSi meant the same as it does on the Talons.

------------------
-------------

·
Registered
100 Posts
Actually, I remember them making a big deal out of the fact that the Conquest TSi was also intercooled. Maybe the T and I did stand for Turbo and Intercooled originally.

Then the marketing guys got ahold of the name :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
StarQuests were first made in '83. Actually I'm the proud owner of an '87 Conquest TSI.
2.6L 4 cyl. turbo.(thats a BIG 4 banger) the early models had NO intercooler. (but were not TSI's) And in Australia they had SOHC 4G63's instead of G54B's.

Tim Jones
'98 Spyder GS
'87 Conquest TSI

·
Registered
50 Posts
ok
tsi turbo sport intercooled
esi-r(starion)euro sport intercooled rally
the x gsx is for all wheel drive(eclipse galant) not the vr-4 which is just 4 wheel steering.

·
Registered
557 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
does anyone know what TSI stands for?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats easy. Its gotta be Total Sports Image!
:eek:D

[This message has been edited by DiamondsR4EVR (edited October 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
The VR-4 On the Galant and 3KGT stands for "Everything four wheels" This is what Mitsu calls it Active Four. Four wheel drive,four wheel steering, four wheel independent suspension, and four wheel anit-lock disc brakes.

#47/2000

1 - 18 of 18 Posts