DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was picking up my sister from school today and was waiting in the parking lot. She was taking a while, so I turned off the engine. I sat in the car for about 1 minute and then my car started whistling at me! It was a high-pitched noise sounding like a flute. This noise lasted for about 7 or 8 seconds.

The car was completely off. No radio, nothing. There was no breeze outside and I am sure the noise came from the car because it happened again when I returned home, only shorter that time. Again, about 1 minute after I shut the engine off.

This problem has me stumped. I don't even know where to begin! Even the almighty Talon Digest could not produce an answer (that I could find, anyway.) If I had to guess, I would say the noise is coming from under the car.

Any help greatly appreciated,
-Jake
1995 Eagle Talon ESi

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Only a guess, but here goes... After you shut off your car, your engine and cooling system will get hotter. My guess is the whistle is coming from your radiator cap (which BTW, is not on the radiator anymore.) As the heat builds up after shut down the pressure inside the cooling system increases. The cap vents this excess pressure to the overflow bottle. It normally shouldn't whistle. If you find this to be the problem, I would replace the cap.
Hope this helps...good luck!

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
729 Posts
That exactly what i was going to say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts