DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I busted my knuckles for two days installing all four Prothane "red" motor mounts and now my car vibrates so damn much it's driving me nuts! I thought I could live with it but I've decided they're going to have to come back out. I heard somewhere that Prothane makes newer mounts that are softer - can someone confirm this? I hate to go back to the weak stockers but I can't live with this vibration :(

·
Registered
764 Posts
I say be a man and stick with it. Had you bought a sports car like the F50 you would be experiencing just as much vibration.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
search around they have different materials to.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I did just the front & rear motor mounts on mine... & I still get a bit of vibration... but it's definately livable. Might want to try just those 2 and see what you think. Definately different motors are balanced better than others. I did have my Bshafts removed also if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hold on to the motor mounts. Slight vibration or broken center differential due to wheel hop? You decide...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, last night the vibrations were REALLY bothering me; it was cold out so I don't think this helped. It seems as if the symtoms are exacerbated by having the headlights on (lower idle, more load). This morning, however, coming to work, it was definitely tolerable. I'll see how it goes for a while - maybe the urethane will soften up a bit over time? Can anyone answer my original question about the "newer" Prothane mounts? If they make a softer set of mounts, I'd jump all over it; as long as I'm not running on the weak stockers!

·
Registered
114 Posts
DIY motor mounts (better read!)

I was getting ready to put out the 100 bucks for prothenes when i ran across an article on DIY urethane mounts. Basically, you jack up the motor, remove the mounts, duct tape one open side of the mounts so that liquid urethane wont run out, pour the stuff in, wait a couple days, and reinstall. Think it wont work? I did mine with Forsch 94A urethane, and they work great! Got the urethane on Mcmaster.com. Vibration sucks, but if you are putting these in it probably isnt your biggest concern. Took almost all the play out of the motor mounts. BTW Got the idea off a Nissan website.

·
Registered
336 Posts
you can also do DIY ghetto style motor mounts by slamming a piece of cutting board, made of that white rock hard polyurithane type material, that you cut to fit inside those holes in the mounts. No its not as good as buying real mounts but it deffinatly works if you need a quick fix for a while. And you cant beat the price, free if you use an old board, $5 if you buy a new one at KMart. Pretty sure there is a vfaq on it, I think thats where I got the idea.

dennis

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The urethane motor mounts dont worry very well. I tried to do my front motor mount like that, but the problem is the outside usually drys first, and prevents air from drying the inside, so in never dries, which leads them to falling apart in a short while.

Peter

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been driving the car around today and I think I can live with the vibration after all. For some reason, it was really bothering me last night, but then again it was really cold out. I'm pretty sure the urethane is sensitive to temperature changes so colder weather = more vibration and warmer weather = less. My idle is set at 700 RPM but the idle gets pulled down to between 500 and 600 with the headlights on, amps, stereo, etc. Maybe these will soften up after a few thousand miles? So far, I only have like 100 miles on them. Everything has trade-offs I guess so I'll just force myself to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Good choice! Just dirve the car for a while, I had Archer Racing install mine (all 4), and when I picked the car up, I thought, what the hell did I get myself into........it was BAD. But now I barley notice a difference, I complety forgot what my car was like without them. They 'break in' quite a bit, or at least mine did. They are also a lot 'nicer' when it is warm out in the summer, and not cold..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts